Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tilting a sewing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
    You put the door stops or tilt on the back to tilt the bed of the machine towards you. It drops your shoulders and you can see easier. No it doesn't hurt the machine at all.
    You literally learn something new every day. I've been sewing more than 50 years and had never heard of this till now! Think I'll try it!

Yes....the tilt is great!

I've been using the door stops for years...2-3 under the back of my machines. Don't do this when machine is in embroidery mode (if you have an embroidery machine)...It will throw the calibration off. I also have a quilting extension for my embroidery machine and can use a couple under the legs of it as well. I don't use the "tilt" on my serger either. Don't think it would be good for the machine...plus the fact, it's not really needed for that one.

Hugs, Drue
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Tilting the machine doesn't throw "it off". I too use door stoppers. I find I don't hunch over with the machine tilted and helps me focus those lovely bifocals better. I can hardly sew without them now.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Thanks so much for posting this tip! I have some wooden shims in my toolbox and I think they'll work great too.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I also use the rubber door stops. They are not expensive and they work great.

What do you do if the machine is in a cabinet with 4 legs, not solid back? The door stops would slip out from under the back legs.

Blog Entries
    I used to use door stops, don't know why I stopped. Must try it again. Thanks for the reminder.

I just read about this on a very old post on another web site about 2 weeks ago. I too bought door stops at $$ store. They are smaller than the ones that come from a hardware store and work great. I am so short it was a struggle to see well and this tilt allows me to look down on the machine instead of across from front to back. My quarter inch seams are much more accurate now. Never would have thought of that on my own.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Dee
    I use rubber door steps. Works like a charm.

How neat is that! I just bought a new chair because I needed one that would raise me higher. Alas, it's not quite high enough, so I've been putting a pillow under me. I can hardly wait to try it, since I have so much trouble with my back and shoulders! Thanks for posting this tip! I actually use a small board under my laptop, but hadn't thought about it for my machine.

I've used some furniture coasters to tilt one of mine just a little bit, but it does make a difference. Never thought of using trim. Maybe I should try that. Thanks.

Pollytink you put the stops under the machine not the cabinet or table it is sitting on,

I'm so glad you brought this up!! I did this with my old machine and then when I got the new one, I just forgot to put the door stops under. Now I get why my neck and upper back have been so sore.... duh!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Okay, I need some additional wisdom on this topic. I use a clear extension table that fits around my machine. If I tilt the machine it will no longer be even with the table. Do you think it would work for me to put the ext table and machine on a piece of plywood and tilt the whole thing?
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

Tilting a sewing machine

I have been using the plastic wedge shaped door stoppers under the back of my machine for this. This way they are really easy to pack with you when you go on a sewing retreat or a class.

I have been using the plastic wedge shaped door stoppers for this. They are really easy to pack also when you take your machine and go on a retreat or a class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2