Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time for a New Iron >

Time for a New Iron

Time for a New Iron

Old 12-14-2019, 07:54 AM

well I am back to a Rowenta again...after trying Black and Decker, and Shark irons. they leaked just as much and did not get as hot as the Rowenta…..I had my first one for years....then went through 2 rather quickly...and they started to leak...so that is when I went to the cheaper irons....read some where that Rowenta had moved manufacture overseas but they started getting a lot of complaints and moved production back to Germany...my current Iron is made in Germany and so far so good....but I have resolved that I probably will need to replace my iron every 2-3 years....My current Rowenta has a lot of steam and heats up quickly and gets Hot...yeah!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone! I will get a B&D today.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:04 AM

The very best iron I ever purchased was a Eurosteam iron. I bought it at a quilt show over 7 years ago for $200. That iron gets very hot. You apply steam and you get crazy hot directed steam. You can make your fabric do whatever you want that fabric to do with that iron. The downside is that the instructions clearly indicated I was to drain the water each and every time I was done with the iron. Since I always thought I'd be sewing more....later in the day.... I would not drain it. And its easy, just turn on the steam until she runs out. So now the iron needs serious cleaning, something I should have been doing all along, I just didn't. The other downside is that she uses up water quickly when you run the steam wide open or pretty much all open. The instructions state you must wait for the iron to cool off before adding more water. Now I just use it for bindings because I can press the heck out of the bindings and they are straight and true and the mitered corners look really good and the press stays put, its just that great of an iron. It also takes about the same amount of time as when the water runs out. I run it hot and with lots of steam. That iron still gets the job done.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:38 PM

I have a Maytag that I've had for 5 years. The teenagers have knocked it off the ironing board at least 4 times, hitting the terrazzo floor. It still shoots out steam a good foot or two. i would rate it about a 9 out of 10. I also just bought a small Steamfast at Walmart for paper piecing. I love it ! It gets hot enough to actually iron the wrinkles out of the fabric. It is about the size of my fist. I had a smaller one, but it just didn't get hot like I wanted. $ 12.00.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:07 PM

I have the Reliable Velocity 200. I love it.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:43 PM

I have had my Rowenta for about 20 years or so and I love it, used my grams old sunbeam iron for years, was a nice heavy dry iron cord finally wore out
Old 12-15-2019, 04:35 AM

I've learned not to use the steam function on any iron as it will kill an iron quickly. So I use a water mister and a dry setting on my iron. Currently using a Black and Decker, but would not hesitate to use a Shark either.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:10 AM

I have gone through a lot of cheap irons through the years, decided this year to gift myself with a good iron. I splurged and got one of the Rowenta Steam Generator irons, just like the one Donna Jordan uses on her tutorials. I like steam and heat. This iron is fantastic, and I am not always filling it up like with the old irons. I can't believe how much flatter my seams are now. It is much easier on my shoulder and elbow since it isn't as heavy as the cheaper steam irons.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:57 AM

I forgot to bring my iron one time many years ago when we were traveling for a month. Went to the dollar store and bought a $9.00 iron. I do not use water in my irons because of the dripping of dirty water on my clean-usually white-fabric. :-).

My Rowenta seems to be not getting as hot has it used to. (It did reheat fast enough between “touches”. It is over 25 yrs old. So I dug out my $9.00 iron and am happy with it. It gets real hot real fast. It does not have the auto shut off feature and I did leave it on all night a few nights ago. PHew......gotta be more cognizant of that!!!
Old 12-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I was looking at no steam irons and found this one at Amazon. The Continental brand no steam is not very good quality, I had two that stopped heating in less then a year. I haven't heard of this brand before. I ordered it so should have a review of it soon. Only drawback right off is it's only 1000 watts but since no steam that may not be a problem.

Wasing Classic Dry Iron for Industry and Household Usage $37.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-15-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps