Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips for a Signature Quilt >

Tips for a Signature Quilt

Tips for a Signature Quilt

Old 07-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Default Tips for a Signature Quilt

My daughter's wedding was amazing and thanks to all the helpful tips I received from this website for constructing a signature quilt, we will have a really great reminder of that day. The following tips are ones I learned from here and are critical Here they are:

1 You really need to have someone manning the guests signing the quilt at all times. Our markers were the type that needed the cap to be twisted off and someone didn't and permanent ink went flying.

2 I had suggested that maybe I should make the quilt ahead of time and have guests sign it at wedding. That idea really got shot down and its a good thing it did. That would have been just awful. Mistakes do happen and it would have been permanent. One guest wrote something he thought was just funny but really wasn't and it would have been permanent on the quilt.

3 Do it! It really is a great memento of the day and each signature block is so unique and wonderful. Most went beyond just a signature and it really will be a great quilt.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Glad everything went well and there were no catastrophes! I’m definitely in the “have them sign the blocks then make the quilt later” group. For one wedding quilt I made, there were several blocks that the bride and groom decided not to put in the quilt because of the checkered sayings that some people wrote. They said “We can’t add that - our grandmas will see it!” I actually put blocks on each table, along with pens. Made an announcement that I’d be picking them up in an hour, and if they didn’t sign one it wouldn’t go into the quilt, so sign’em, people! Several people told me that they liked signing them at their table - gave them time to think of what they wanted to write and they didn’t have to wait in a line or stand at a separate table.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

so happy that you have those memories. and thanks for the tips
Old 07-02-2019, 12:43 PM

Great ideas...Having guests sign at their tables...makes sense...no one likes to stand in line..and then have to figure out what to say!
Old 07-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I don't get permanent ink flying everywhere. that really would be bad. have many helpers who can supervise the guest signing if possible. people always have questions or just plain start to go wrong.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:34 AM

I love our signature (family reunion) quilt. Yes, it's loud, so is our family, LOL. Each year the oldest cousin get to keep it until the next year, then it passes to the next oldest. Yes, you Must have someone manning the table. Please show your finished quilt!!
Hanging from the balcony[ATTACH=CONFIG]614481[/ATTACH]Label[ATTACH=CONFIG]614482[/ATTACH]my signature with hand quilting[ATTACH=CONFIG]614483[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpg   0601170846.jpg   hoping-you-can-see-hand-quilting..jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-04-2019 at 07:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-05-2019, 07:32 AM

AZJane, love your quilt---it is amazing.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:23 AM

Great suggestions, I unfortunately made the quilt first for my friends birthday celebration and then had people sign it. Again, I didn't have anyone "in charge" of it so a lot of signatures are missing. It was a while ago and I didn't know better. Next time I'll put squares on each table,
collect them, then make the quilt. Thanks again for all your suggestions, I love the idea of a signature quilt!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 AM

Beautiful quilt and great idea of hand prints and signatures! Thanks for all the additional tips, I could have used them all at her wedding! Yes, I'd love to show photo of when its completed but for the life of me, I cannot understand how to attach photos!