Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Today I became a member of the "Sewn finger Club"

Today I became a member of the "Sewn finger Club"

Evidently this wasn't one of my better days at the sewing machine. Had it not been for a "has to be finished" quilt, I wouldn't have been sewing at all....way too hot. I got my finger in too close and the needle went clear through the finger, and then broke, leaving behind a 3/8" needle piece stuck in there. OUCH! I got the piece out, but am not sure that there isn't still a small piece still in there No insurance, so no xray....will just have to wait it out.

OUCH!!! Hope everything turns out ok. I hate when I feel I have to hurry. Even if it's my fault for piddling around. When I hurry I always end up more behind...sigh

Blog Entries
    Poor you. I hope you have an antiseptic or antibiotic something to put on it. If not salt water is the next best thing. My DH just said "I'm not going to sleep tonight", in response to my telling him about your misfortune. He's squeamish. Can't you just turn up at the hospital and have someone look at the injury to make sure it's OK?

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

Ouch!! Make sure you apply some antibiotic ointment to it! Keep an eye on it and don't let it get infected!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Oh man it just makes me cringe just thinking about it. OUCH doesn't even cover the pain it caused. Hope it heals okay without medical intervention.
    ​Christine

Have the paramedics at your fire department look at it. They shouldn't charge for it--part of your town services.

Yowsers! I sewed right through my finger at the edge so I didn't catch the nail; I did that about 45 years ago with my mom's textured black Singer 66. It did not catch the bobbin thread - LOL. I remember that surprised me since that Singer sewed through everything! The needle did not break. It happened so fast that it was over before my brain knew what happened. I do remember it was mighty sore for a while. I sure would hate to think that there was a piece of needle left in there. Can you compare the two pieces you have to a new needle and ensure all is okay? Let us know how this turns out.

Ouch! I did that during my teen years and I remember feeling so faint and my mother had to pull it out.... it went right through my nail and everything. Hope you got it all out!
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

So sorry to hear about your "accident". It is too bad about your not having insurance. The thought that crossed my mind was, if there is still a piece of the needle inside, the surgery to remove it might be more expensive than having it looked at in the first place. It sounds like a good idea to have the paramedics look at it. Wonder if they do things like that. Hope you don't have too much pain and healing is fast without complications.
    Sue

I joined this club with you on the Fourth of July! 50 years of sewing and it was a first.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Have the paramedics at your fire department look at it. They shouldn't charge for it--part of your town services.
    Such a BRILLIANT suggestion!!!! I will have to remember this one.

Sorry that you have entered the club. I have had the luck of having two enteries; the first when I was a child, playing around on moms machine without supervision. The second, when I was not paying attention and trying to hurry at the same time. I hope that yours heals fine.
    Last edited by Chicca; 07-08-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
    Brenda

I hope by now you washed it, and put antibiotic cream on.. I'm wondering if you can try putting a magnet near the area, and see if it attracts something.. Also, foriegn bodies usually will come to the surface.. Also, you might want to ice it to take down the imflammation..

Even though in high school my home ec teacher kept warning me - I sewed through my finger. Guess I'm a slow learner because I did it a second time as an adult. Now I just try to keep my fingers back. I feel your pain.

I joined the club when I was 4 years old. My mother answered the phone, and I grabbed the chance to sew. Lucky for me, both the phone and the sewing machine were in the kitchen of our farmhouse. Also, to my benefit, my mother was a nurse!

Dayle

I LA'd mine about a year ago...hurt like blazes but boy, was it quick!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Oh ouch!!! I have not joined this club and NEVER intend to - well heck, who would do that on purpose??? Ok, one of my students deliberately stapled his finger when I told him not to, but...just sayin'. I don't have insurance so I wouldn't be going to the doctor either, but I certainly hope it all came out. Foreign bodies tend to work their way out of our bodies, so you might be getting a surprise in a few months!! Heal quickly!!

OUCH!! Never sewed through one of my fingers, but run my arm through the ringer of my mom's washer once. My dad had to come home from work and release the ringer as my mom wasn't strong enough and I was caught pretty good!!

I joined the club when I was 16. so I know your pain. I still get a twinge when I get that finger too close to the needle. You might try soaking it in some Epson salts and hot water, that might draw it out if there is a piece left. Hope it heals well.

Here is my horror story..I was sewing on an industrial sewing machine and I was guiding the piece (working with neoprene) and did not stop fast enough and the needle went in the flesh between 1st/2nd finger and reactions jumped in and I pulled my hand out. Big ouch..needed 3 stitches. First and only stitches in my life.

Sending loving healing hugs your way
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Power Poster
    Ouch, been there too but without the worry of a needle piece left in. I managed to piece the pieces back together to see it was all there. Can you get the firemen to check it or have a friend with a metal detector? I hope it heals up well for you and that all the metal is out.