Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tonga Batiks precut 2 1/2" strip packs and layer cake pks >

Tonga Batiks precut 2 1/2" strip packs and layer cake pks

Tonga Batiks precut 2 1/2" strip packs and layer cake pks

Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Default Tonga Batiks precut 2 1/2" strip packs and layer cake pks

I'm considering buying strips and layer cake packs to do a quilt pattern I just totally love. However, I've not used the Timeless Treasures Percuts and I'm wary of having the same problem that exists with the Bali Pop strips. Every pack has strips that are not cut correctly and I think when you tally up the price per yard Hoffman is really falling down on the job by simply stating in their disclaimer that some cuts may vary.. Bah!!! Not for me.
So if anyone has used the TT Tongo Batik precuts could you let me know if they are cut correctly since I'm going to be dishing out $170 + for this quilt and want it to be accurately pieced.
Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM

I used 3 packs of Tonga Treats for my Stepping Stones quilt by Judy Niemeyer. It was paper pieced so I really can't tell you if the strips were precisely cut, however I can tell you that the fabric frayed more than others. I did a lot of thread clipping before it was quilted by Charisma
My Stepping Stones quilt:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t156217.html

Here's a good price on Tonga Treats & Bali Pops...They're having a moving sale

http://www.beavercreekquiltcompany.c...rms_jellyrolls

Last edited by FancyFoot; 01-11-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM

I was told the best way to be sure you have the right size when sewing a jelly roll is to put a guide 2 1/4" to the LEFT of your sewing machine needle, then your final measure will be perfect.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM

AnnaF, my downstairs neighbor asked if I would make her a couple of lap quilts. She bought the fabric, And I introduced her to timeless treasures Tongo batiks. She picked Mango Salsa for the charm pack quilt, and Lolipop in the layer cake size. This was the first time I have ever used timeless treasures batiks... You are correct in assuming that they are not exactly ten inch squares. A lot of them are slightly off... I would say by no more than a 1/4 of an inch. But since I am using the layer cakes to make a ten minute block quilt... I figured it would be easier to square them up after the block was made. As for the charm packs... I have not gotten to those yet. I am going to assume that the jelly rolls coulddddd be a tiny bit off as well. Not one hundred percent sure since I do not have the jelly rolls.

I was reallllyyyy surprised at this! I thought something was really wrong with my sewing... I had a sinking suspicion, so I actually measured some of the ten inch squares... Yup, it was not me.. They were just not cut very well.

It might not matter much depending on your pattern, but I can tell you I was not pleased. Even though I was not the one who purchased the material, It is still not right nor fair... Plus the extra work I will have to do squaring every block up.... So unnecessary. Still, all in all, the one quilt top I finished looks beautiful. I hope what I have said helps you in your decision making.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 PM

Batik precuts are all cut by hand in the Far East. They are going to vary, regardless of manufacturer. Until they find a way to get laser cutting equipment out to small villages, run power to operate them and teach the locals how to use and maintain it, there's not much they can do about it. The cost would be astronomical if all batiks had to come to the US, be unwrapped, laser cut, wrapped back up and then shipped out to retailers.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 PM

Ghostrider, Gosh... That makes a lot of sense. I did not know that.... Boy if I had to cut every thing by hand, I sure would feel sorry for the person who bought the fabric I cut... Lolll (especially if I had to cut everything with a pair of scissors)
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM

I've never seen pre-cuts that are 100% straight. If you like pre-cuts there's always a
way to work around it. Starch usually helps. A little fudging here and there too;-)
I would not hesitate to buy pre-cuts if I like the whole collection. Right now I'm
working on a jelly roll sampler using Moda jelly rolls. Well even laser cut, the strips
are not always 100% straight (that's where the fabric has been folded) and some
strips are a little narrower than others. Nothing major.
When I use jelly rolls I usually cut my strips in half (at the fold) so even if you
see a slight "v" it probably won't matter. You have to trim those edges anyway.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I did buy the Tonga Treats Coco-Berry precuts..layer cake pks and 2 1/2" strip pks.
I will be very disappointed if they aren't pretty much on the mark. I'm making a quilt that requires a lot of sub cutting of the precuts. Hopefully it will all work out. I'd like to think I can finish it up by spring and enter it in our State quilt show.