Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TOO Busy Blocks >

TOO Busy Blocks

TOO Busy Blocks

Old 06-30-2022, 01:52 PM

Default TOO Busy Blocks

What should I do to make a 2- diamond & 1-square block that is sewed in All print so I can calm it down (hopefully) without taking All 24 blocks apart? every block has print and most of that is mini-print flowers. This quilt was given to me in the bottom of the black trash bag Full of all kinds and sizes of pieces of fabric. I received these blocks (all sewed into 6-inch blocks) to 12 yards of underslip fabric. Of which I'm going to make slips for dolls for Christmas. Firm decision. I did take 3 blocks apart down the center seam. Found the person did not cut the pieces on a straight line nor did the person sew it on a straight line. I'm threatening my 2 cats that they will have a new blanket to argue over but if I can save it I'd like to do that first.
I put it on my wall and I could not see where the design stopped at any place in the block. I found the only place I continued to look at was my white wall.

All help greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:04 PM

A picture would help a lot in gaining some suggestions. I don't fully understand what you are looking at, but I understand the concept of calming down busy blocks.
- sometimes a simple sashing in solid fabric between blocks is enough.
- making the same size/style block in a solid fabric and alternating them in the layout would be another option.
- if none of those suit you and you want to calm the block itself, as opposed to calming the whole quilt, you could see if taking a piece of contrasting piping to the top of the seams would break apart the fabrics and create some interest.
good luck. if all else fails, your cats will love it!
Old 06-30-2022, 07:40 PM

Putting the blocks on point with a sashing can change how they look.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Sashing between the blocks can help. If you have a big piece of solid fabric, audition the blocks by laying then on top with the solid between them.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I think I would spend my time and energy on something else.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:14 PM

How motivated are you to save this? A picture would help me, too.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:21 AM

Yes, a photo please. Are you posting from your phone or a laptop? We can help you with the "How To".

Sashing to "calm down" the wild fabrics will work. Another option is to turn them into an economy block. They can be made in any size from tiny to HUGE.

Google Economy Quilt Block and you will find many tutorials. Find the one that is the easiest for you to follow. Here is just one. https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog...block-tutorial
Old 07-01-2022, 05:40 AM

Adding a black sash around each block with separate all that busy-ness at least that's what I do plus it frames each block too. I find black does more than white but either one would work or maybe even grey.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:55 AM

Can you post a picture please? If you need help, there are instructions for posting pictures in the QB Help Center.
Without seeing a picture, I think I'd agree with other suggestions of adding black or white. Other colors can be "neutral" too, I once saw a beautiful quilt with a soft mint green used as a neutral.