Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
too much fabric >

too much fabric

too much fabric

Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bibiche
me:"I'll just take all of it. I'm sure I can find something to do with it."
saleswoman:"Yeah, like pile it on top of all that fabric you already have."
How rude!! Doesn't she get paid to sale fabric? Has she been to your home? Are you required to show her all of your finished projects?
You gave her a big opening. You don't owe her any kind of excuse or explanation. "I'll take the last two yards also." Period.
If she makes a snide remark,just say loudly, "Bless your heart, I can't believe that you say such rude things to your customers." In a sugar, sweet voice ofcourse.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Yes, I am a Fabriholic and NO, I am not looking for a cure. 8-)
Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
as a anal organizer I am so lovin all your organization...what did use for dividers ? the white ones?
thanks for sharing
dee
My sister owns a vinyl graphics business and she uses coroplast. It is an acid free plastic. She custom cuts the pieces for me. I use them to wrap my fabric around (on the bookcases) and use as dividers in my drawers and shelves. She sells lots of them on e-bay for quilters to do what I did. I love being able to see my stash without having to mess up piles when I just want to pull one or two pieces.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:50 AM

it's like explaining to someone why you have to go to the ladies room.......I hate explaining!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 PM

In the first place, it is none of her **** business if you go in and want to buy out the whole place!! The owner of my lqs would do cartwheels naked down the street if I won the big one and came in for 3 yards of everything!! For that matter, so would I! And if I worked in a quilt shop, I would NEVER take home a pay check. Charismah, I think you show great restraint by not spending the whole thing there! I always buy the end of the bolt if there is only a little left. Sometimes when there's more than a little left! I am very compasionate and would not want that little bit sitting lonely at the store! Where is the Mill Ends place in MN? If it is close to my nephew I may have to go visit!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been feeling quilty about buying fabric and I have NO WHERE NEAR what you all seem to have. There are a couple of collections out right now that I love but I think... I already have fabric that I don't know what I'm going to make with. Then I think... but if I don't get it now there won't be any more of it. Then I think... but there will be other ones that come along that I will like too. Then I think...
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been feeling quilty about buying fabric and I have NO WHERE NEAR what you all seem to have. There are a couple of collections out right now that I love but I think... I already have fabric that I don't know what I'm going to make with. Then I think... but if I don't get it now there won't be any more of it. Then I think... but there will be other ones that come along that I will like too. Then I think...
LOL Pam I can so relate to the mind game thing. I did the same thing all this week. A not so LQS that is about 50 miles from me is having a sale this week on batiks at 20% off. I argued with myself all week should I go, shouldn't I go. I already have fabric separated out for 3 quilts and think to myself, I really shouldn't add to my stash until I use some of what I have and at least get started on 1 of the 3. I ended up not going and working on different UFO instead. I figure they will have another sale and this summer I am planning a trip to Lancaster County so if I don't buy now I can buy more then. Plus I want to save up for my long arm.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Pam - you are so funny - I do the same thing when I go food shopping - by the time I get to the middle of the store, I can't push the cart and then I start putting things back and end up with nothing. That is something I am working on - lol - I'm worth it!!! Not to sound like a L'oreal commercial.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Christine M. Scheppard
How funny - not until today after all these years, did I consider my collecting material as an addiction....but at 57, I'm not going to let it ruin the rest of my life; in fact, it makes me happy!!! I can relate to "waiting till he is asleep to get it out of the car". It could be so much worse...right?
I look at it this way. Jim has never given me a hard time about buying fabric (or anything else). So I do what I want as long as it does not cut into the money for bills.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
we are not the crazy ones.

an employee in a shop that sells fabric who makes snide remarks about the amount a customer buys is a heckuva lot crazier than all of us put together.
It could be she is speaking from her own experience and not meaning to be sarcastic
Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Hey Misty, I would love to know what that wall unit, or rack is that you are using on the wall with the 1-2 yard fold pieces? Is it a local store item I can go pick up, or can you tell me what it is and where to find it? I am finally organizing my fabric just like you have yours..funny, great minds, same track teehehee...but that 'hangin' unit or whatever it is is great for those smaller pieces. I am slow at organizing, but I am going to get there. Signed on, on the other thread, to admit I am a fabric aholic, and will never go for the cure!