Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Took the plunge today, Bought a Bernina >

Took the plunge today, Bought a Bernina

Took the plunge today, Bought a Bernina

Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 PM

The very next day I did take Delayne to a retreat. I knew there'd be someone there who knew how to use it and I'm pretty good at a manual. Turned out pretty good. Did some FMQ and seams. Managed to bend one of the feet. Now it's breaking threads. The tech will be back from vacation next week, so I'll take it in.

Tuesday, while teaching FMQ, one student had the 710 and I was able to help her. Yeh!

Today, had my first real lesson. Got a surge protector for 1700 joules, and one for the TV and one for the computer. Living in the mountains, just never know when a tree will fall and cause serious power fluctuations. Also, got some more "D" for dual feed, feet. When it was back at Bernina for the used overhaul, they updated some things and even the staff didn't know yet what they do. The auto thread cutter wasn't cutting the bottom thread. Learned how to clean it (had a thread in it), works great.

Then had some time with the embroidery expert. She digitized a quilting pattern for me. And I got to practice. We'll see how it does with computer quilting.

So, guess what I'm doing tomorrow, besides laundry!

Beyond excited!!!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 PM

I'm so pleased you're loving your new machine! I've been thinking about a Bernina for a while now and am going to try one soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I'm so pleased you're loving your new machine! I've been thinking about a Bernina for a while now and am going to try one soon.
What I ended up getting wasn't what I origionally thought I wanted. As I looked and considered the 1 step upgrade, I'd think of how this could enhance what I do. As I taught classes and considered for 7 months, I finally decided I wanted it all. And there was a used machine.

Take your time, it's a big investment. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 AM

woo hoo! big time machine envy going on here!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

That is a cute name. You are very lucky that you have such a loving DH!! Enjoy the fun!! I have two very old Bernina and I love them so much.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Went to embroidery club today. Wow. So much to learn because it can do so much. There's a new project every month. I think this will help my learning curve. Was there the longest and did the least it appears. Most of the doing is what's happening in my brain. Did learn it needs a very sturdy table. May need to rearrange the studio.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:05 PM

My last Christmas present was a gas Bosch cook top with 5 burners. Love to cook !! Hugs
Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Glad you have received what you wanted. Have fun!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 AM

WhooHoo are you going to be having fun. I have a Bernina 640 and just added the embroidery unit. Really fun to play with. But I must admit most of our $$$ go to longarm quilting things like the Intelliquilter. Spend your $$ where your passion is! Congratulations.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on Delayne. I can't imagine how you managed to bend a foot! LOL, you are one serious sewer. I am thankful I never caught the embroidery bug, but my bug is equally expensive (Longarm!!) My Bernina is the 153 Quilters edition. Not near as many bells and whistles and I only use a fraction of what it can do! Can't wait to see you post pictures of your creations.