Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure? >

Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure?

Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure?

Old 11-14-2018, 06:26 AM

So sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your Juki. I don't have one, but did want to comment on the length of time your dealer takes with repair. Is the 4-6 weeks usual? Do they repair in house or send it out? I could see the lengthy time if they send it out, so I'm wondering if there is a dealer in your area who repairs in house. (My dealer has a 5-10 day repair time repairing in house, and I've had tension issues repaired on the spot.)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
No dealer sells at MSRP. We always sell at the lowest price Juki, Bernina and HandiQuilter allows. We have given a complete refund if our customer doesn't like the machine, for any reason.

We have, however, had customers return a perfectly fine machine, just to find that the machine wasn't threaded correctly or the needle was in backwards. It's always a great idea to sit down with your educator and make sure the problem isn't user error.

I have sat with several people at the store. They are having the same problems as I, both they and I have gone over threading, bobbin winding, etc.

I am glad to hear that the dealer you are with is very customer service oriented. Hoping at the end of the day, mine proves to be such as this also.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
So sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your Juki. I don't have one, but did want to comment on the length of time your dealer takes with repair. Is the 4-6 weeks usual? Do they repair in house or send it out? I could see the lengthy time if they send it out, so I'm wondering if there is a dealer in your area who repairs in house. (My dealer has a 5-10 day repair time repairing in house, and I've had tension issues repaired on the spot.)
Artsyone - my dealer has to send their machines out (unless it is something very minor, in which case they will fix in the store). This one is going out.

I actually have a sewing machine repair guy I much prefer, and turn around time is generally 7 to 10 days. I don't know if he is Juki certified though. Since this is a new machine, it needs to go through the dealer for warranty repair.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
Why should I lose out on a sales price due to a machine that isn't working properly out of the box a 2nd time?
This is a very good point, and I would ask this of the dealer and the management at the dealership. I would ask it several times! Be a polite but squeaky wheel. And absolutely call the manufacturer and request help if you are still unhappy with your service.

I had problems with a Hoover carpet cleaner, went to the dealer 8 times in 12 months, it was never fixed to my satisfaction, and the dealer told me I was out of warranty and would have to pay. So I contacted Hoover corporate and explained my problem. Not only did they fix it asap, they extended my warranty another year and stripped that dealer of his dealership. (I thought that was a little extreme, but then I found out I was not the only unhappy customer, and the fix was stupid simple - the water bucket had a design flaw and they sent me a new bucket, problem solved. It was a recall that the dealer had ignored.)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 AM

when I had problems with my Juki, I was told by Juki that they let their local dealers do what they want.

The Babylock dealer told me I could trade in my one year old machine and get the full price I paid as a discount off the current sale price of the new machine.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

It seems short-sighted for a dealer to not try to fix a problem as quickly and inexpensively as possible - espeically on a new machine.

Customers are blabbermouths - and a lot more likely to mention poor service than good.

Although sometimes people are embarrassed to admit when they get taken advantage of.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 AM

Touch wood, I have a Juki and not had one bit of bother, apart from operator error. I would be pushing for a full refund and you negotiate a deal against another machine.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 AM

What an unfortunate situation you:re in. It sounds like the dealer is more concerned with money than customer satisfaction. They should be doing more to earn your trust. Two flawed machines right out of the box is unacceptable and uncommon.

I would approach the owner (not a regular employee) face to face and ask him (her) and tell them you really wanted that machine and bought it twice. And twice you have had tension issues that they admit to and is it unreasonable to not want to risk a third failed attempt. Ask if they- in your shoes- wouldn’t be equally baffled and disappointed. Tell them you really want to buy from them, but a different machine with a store credit for the full amount to paid them originally. Try to ask them questions (calmly but directly) to help them want to work together toward a fair solution. Let them know you’ve contacted Juki corporate to report your trouble with the two machines. Say “will you honor the price you sold it to me for since you can’t get the machine to work right?” Be likeable, reasonable, keep it about the faulty machine, your unwillingness to make the same mistake three times, and about them honoring their deal. You have not gotten a fair deal. You’ve lost the use of it for repair time, you ve lost confidence in this model but you don’t also want to lose the business relationship. Appeal to their reasonableness with logic, not emotion. Let Juki corporate try to yank on them first.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:23 PM

Although I don't have a Juki, the dealer I go to, services the machines he sells, along with other machines. I go down once a year to have my Elna serviced, and he does me a huge service, because he gets it done in one day, since I travel 8 hours to get to him. Although, I do sometimes take 2 or 3 machines, he does get them done in 2 days. LOL He does a very thorough servicing.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Yes. I would press for a full refund. That's inexcusable! Maybe get the Better Business Bureau involved.