Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Transferring quotes to fabric >

Transferring quotes to fabric

Transferring quotes to fabric

Old 04-05-2015, 08:59 PM

Default Transferring quotes to fabric

Want to take sayings on the backs of t-shirts and transferring them onto quilting fabric. Don't want to cut up the t-shirts but want the memories. What would be the easiest way to approach this? TIA
Old 04-06-2015, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

You could embroider them, either by hand or machine. YOu can look into photo transfers that you print on an ink jet printer, but instead of scanning a photo and using that image use a word processor and type in the sayings. YOu can format it and use any font you like. If you do a search on photo transfers you can read about different brands that folks have used successfully.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:04 AM

Thanks for asking this, GrandmaJeanne. I have one planned that is "quote-intensive" and I have no way to go about it. My machine doesn't embroider letters, and I'm not sure how well hand embroidery will show up.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-06-2015, 03:14 PM

You could scan the actual back of the T-shirt and then print it out on fabric that has been ironed with freezer paper. Another way is to take it to some copy place and have them do it for you. I did my son's Marine picture 22 years ago and it still looks nice but I did a pillow. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
You could scan the actual back of the T-shirt and then print it out on fabric that has been ironed with freezer paper. Another way is to take it to some copy place and have them do it for you. I did my son's Marine picture 22 years ago and it still looks nice but I did a pillow. Good luck.
What she said!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:29 PM

Like the idea of scanning the quotes, but how about washing doesn't' the lettering then bleed?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM

I've been reading about a product called TAB (transfer artist paper). There is a video on it. I've been hunting for it but haven't been able to find it. I'd like to use it for my quilt labels. This might be something you'd like - if you can find it.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 AM

I've had great success with printing on fabric ironed to freezer paper but there are some things you need to know. You MUST prewash the fabric and use no fabric softener. The chemicals and sizing have to be removed for the ink to penetrate. You need to treat the fabric after washing it and before printing on it. I've used this method http://www.theidearoom.net/2010/03/g...-creative.html instead of using bubble jet as it is expensive!
It has to be an inkjet printer. Laser printers will not work. Most importantly, you have to use pigment inks and not dye inks. Just out of sheer luck, my HP printer inks are pigment inks. I also let mine dry for a day and iron it a lot to set any remaining ink. I did a test run and washed the fabric in hot water. It did fade very slightly after 5 washings but I can figure no one will wash a quilt in hot water 5 times!
I have also use spoonflower for printed fabric and it is lovely. I did want the option to make custom labels for each quilt or item so I delved into the diy printing. I did a couple of embroidered labels but thought the printed actually looked better which is usually the opposite.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Thanks, I did look at the video, and this is something I will probably try. But what is washing soda?
Old 04-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I have read on previous posts here that the best way is to have the lettering professionally printed.