Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trash Bag >

Trash Bag

Trash Bag

Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM

Any pics so we can see what they look like. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

why not...they make trash too! of course I bet you can't use anything floral, or hello kitty, but dang..they make camo, deer, fish, etc fabric too!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM

This is the only one that has worked for me on long trips (photo is of commercial one). Easy to make in your special fabric. Be sure to attach the bottom to the seat or it can whip around and hit you if you stop fast. I didn't line it, but if he eats food in the car, then you might want to. I don't use it day-to-day. Honestly, I don't think they are all that useful because most people don't empty them until they are so full that trash is falling out. Better would be to get in the habit of emptying the trash out of the car every time you get out. My trash bucket is right next to where the car is parked (a tip from a UK member on another board). Every time I fill gas, before I go in to pay I look around the vehicle for any trash that needs to be thrown. It's just habit.

When I made mine, I used that thick sew-in interfacing to give it shape. With all those new fusibles, you wouldn't need to do that. Just get a heavy weight one with fusible only on one side.

If he is a saleman, always in his car, then a better choice would be a larger 'snap bag'. Those fast-food leftovers would be too big for the behind-the-seat model. Using the 'snap bag' currently popular, but for a larger bag would be perfect then.

Edited to add my link.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 01-16-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM

After a bit of searching, here's a simple trash container made by someone on Etsy. I can see this smaller one being useful for when you have a cold or something.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

ITA ... sure why not?

How large it needs to be? and the style of the car? will somewhat determine what design is do-able!

Another way to "install" is to put a chunk of velcro hooks on it ... that is, if it's going to be put next to some carpeting/upholstery that it can latch on to. Or if you have somewhere to put the smooth side.

For me ... I keep an Extra Large Timmie's cup in the saddle bag on the door for my garbage! It works for the small stuff, and easily pitchable without having to worry about laundry or accidentally tossing the bag out!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM

I think a trash bag in the car is a good thing. My biggest question is 'Why don't they design cars with a trash receptacle?' Behind the seat is crazy as most of the garbage is in the front.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM

This is a link to one I made for my car. I like it because it hangs from the glove box. The buttons keep it inside the glove box door. It was quick and easy to make.
http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/07/ca...k-of-that.html
Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 PM

http://www.allfreesewing.com/Bags-an...Trash-Bag/ct/1
Has anyone checked this out, it looks like the commercial one mentioned here but is free?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 AM

Lovely idea. Check the TipNut site for all kinds of handy car accessories.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM

I found a pattern on site Make It Do some time back. I do not remember what month or when. You would have to check the archives. I may be able to find it at home if you reply as I am at work right now. I did change it some and put a liner in it and make a strap with ribbon and my husband and I hang it on the center stick. It can be thrown into the laundry when dirty. Just love mine.