Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: two for the price of one

You can make another for yourself or someone else with not much more work to be done.
    katigirl

I made a quilt last year from a munufacturers instructions, who shall remain nameless, the numbers for the cuts were way off, I discovered this after cutting enormous quantities of fabrics but not before sewing the quilt. So far the extra cuttings have made 2 king size shams to go with the quilt (a gift for my son), a bed runner for myself, 2 toss pillows, and I still have some left, which since most of them are 1/2 square triangles, are slated for use in some unchosen future quilt! The good news is that I love the fabrics.
    pat design

wow ,ya know I sure could use a log cabin quilt and love the colors you choosed. LOL!!

make one of those now popular things you put at the end of a bed????for some reason........or sew them into a long pillow tube.....so that the new owners can just slide their bed pillows into it instead of pillow shams...did that for my daughter and she liked that idea.....

I did the same thing recently while cutting strips for table toppers...cut far too many strips but have plans for them!!!
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Blog Entries
    A lot of my scrap stash comes from math miscaluations on the material.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Oh, wow, much better than coming up short. Once I did that and used some of the squares for nice tote bags. What a bargain on the fabric, by the way!

LOL...sorry to laugh, but that's usually my trick. So, that's why I have my friend do the math for me. She has and engineering back round and is a mathlete. Makes my life so much easier and she loves doing the figures...go figure;0)

One for the friend, one for you! Sounds like a great deal to me!

Blog Entries
    You almost have the back of the quilt done now. Just use the rest of the blocks and add a border.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

LOL You don't want to know how often I have had that happen but only over the last 3 years or so. I thought, I must be getting old. It is always nice to have some blocks on hand and ready for a top.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I think I am doing the same thing right now ... I purchased a pattern for a block - a bouquet of balloons (23 of them are in each block). So ... I pull out my box of 30's fabrics and start sorting. I find my scrapbooking punch and punch out A LOT of 1" circles to use as templates (see, I run a basting thread around the circle and pull it up around the template, then press. Let the circle rest (cool down), then remove and move on). I started cutting circles out, asked a friend for her stash too and am still cutting circles. I save those nice pill bottles and I now have three of them full of circles to make into balloons. I am still cutting, I will have enough to make my quilt (probably however many I want) and to share with the next person. I am using any pieces that are small enough to cut one or two out of before tossing the rest. It has been fun to fussy cut some of my little circles. The original quilt (an antique) does not have any sashings between the blocks and has A LOT of blocks. I am considering making 12 blocks and adding a sashing - but, with the number of circles I am cutting out, I may HAVE to make one like the original quilt. I wonder if I will still be adicted to applique when I am done with this one - lol If anyone is interested in the pattern, I purchased it at Latimer Quilt & Textile Center in Tillamook, Oregon. I believe they also have the original quilt in their collection.

Power Poster
    Well, that's a pretty big oops, but I've made one too many blocks myself. I make family reunion quilts every 2 years and the last 3 have been king size because I got carried away. If I were you, I'd finish both, the king and the double, the double might come in handy for a wedding gift one day or a birthday resent. This new math can get you every time.

That was a pleasant surprise

Wow, wondering if that's an Arizona thing! I made about 12 extra blocks on a quilt that I'm currently working on. Of course, it was my own fault. I started the blocks about six months ago, put the blocks away and totally forgot I made them. You'd think that when I started making the blocks last month that it would seem familiar to me, but nope.

Where did you find fabric for $1.50/yard?

See, you were planning ahead and did not realize it. You are very clever.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Maybe they could use an extra for a guest room!
    Proud Navy Mom!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatterBugQuilts?ref=pr_shop

Matching pillow shams?

couch quilt?Some people love to snuggle.
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

LOL! Sounds like something I would do!
    Lynn

Blog Entries
    That's really good news. There is another quilt for a gift or for quilts of valor. Always better to have too many than too few.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Must be your "lady in white" wanted a quilt too!

You could do what I have done, use the extra blocks to create a storage/gift bag to match your quilt, the can put pillows in it when the quilt is being used
    happy to have enough stash fabric at all time

Blog Entries
    We've all done it. But now you have one to give away....

Been there done that.. I'm in the middle of making five of the same quilts for my office, and I keep calculating, and now I have way too much.. With what ever I have left, I'll donate.. and laugh about it..
    Barri

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2