Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: U.F.O. stars?

Power Poster

U.F.O. stars?

Which size stars, small or bigger? I'm not lovng either and this may need to go back in the box for another time out.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1424
Size:  243.6 KB

How about some flying geese instead of stars in the border?

I like the smaller, especially the one in the top row.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    How about some flying geese instead of stars in the border?
    I'm not loving them either. I kind of like the flying geese idea.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    i think making stars in the border distracts from the beauty of the center stars. a border with a completely different theme would be my choice
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    I think the three stars in the center go together - how about making a table runner?

Power Poster
    Back to the drawing board. EasyPeezy, your suggestion of flying geese has sparked an idea. I am thinking Deb Tuckers Migrating Flying geese may work.

Blog Entries
    No real help here, just had to say I love how your center stars seem to shine against the black fabric. It will make a pretty quilt.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Pretty stars but I'm not sure what you are asking.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like just the black. That is very striking to me.

Blog Entries
    Are the stars in the middle row really larger than those in the top row or is that an optical illusion due to the quilt placement on the floor and the camera.
    Last edited by Wonnie; 05-11-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Are the stars in the middle row really larger than those in the top row or is that an optical illusion due to the quilt placement on the floor and the camera.

I like your new stars, but think maybe making them multi colour to coordinate with the earlier ones, might look better?

I had several mix-matched stars I was practicing on, for size and block size. I just added bars and other simple blocks to even up the mix, and sewed them all together. Made a pretty nifty quilt for my dog.
    I'm not sure if that is what you are asking about, but sometimes if you intentionally make it more unmatched, it all works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Back to the drawing board. EasyPeezy, your suggestion of flying geese has sparked an idea. I am thinking Deb Tuckers Migrating Flying geese may work.
    I like this idea.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think what makes these stars not work is they are one color. If you use the same strong colors and make them scrappy, they will look great. I also think the total border is too wide.

Power Poster
    Okay, here is the bottom border of migrating flying geese laid in place but not sewn together yet. I haven't decided if these are the final colours yet but I think it works better then the stars. I will reverse the order of the border colours for the top but in the same fabrics. What do you think?Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  352.6 KB

Power Poster
    The red and white star block in the middle row - definitely gets my "attention."

I like the colors of your migrating geese, but I think they are overwhelming for the size of the star block.

JMHO

I love the migrating geese but wish they were smaller. If you need such a large border, you could always do some thin borders of one or more of the geese colors, followed by smaller migrating geese. Then bind in black for your "final border".

This is gonna be a very cool quilt!!!
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

Blog Entries
    Agree with both bearisgray and sushi...smaller migrating geese and at least one small border. The smaller star in the center gives me a place to rest my eye and a small border would work that way for me as well. Your geese colors work very nicely.....good choices. Nice points on your stars!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i think making stars in the border distracts from the beauty of the center stars. a border with a completely different theme would be my choice
    I agree with QuiltnNan - for me - the stars for the border seems to compete with the beautiful stars for the center. While the thought of flying geese intrigues me, I might just go for something simple - three borders - narrow black, some color, then a wider black. Do you have any more of the sashing corner material?
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

You might want to look at the many star blocks on Quilter's Cache. I found a lot for the all star quilt I made, now if I just could decide how to quilt it.
    wonderfully and beautifully made, even if you can't see it on the outside