Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UGH, I can't believe I did this...

justwannaquilt, you have a lot of strength to go back and be willing to start over. I've made over 600 quilts, and trust me, I've done worse. Somehow, our mistakes make us wiser technicians in the art of quilting. Thanks for sharing. You probably helped a hundred quilters by sharing your error.

My egregious machine quilting mistake made me realize, every time I start a quilt, look on the back after the first few stitches, and then again, after 6 square inches have been quilted.

I don't understand why you can't base all three layers, quilt and then wash. What do you mean by plush? The LQS has done minkee on the back and quilts it. Little confused.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for posting your mistake,,It is a very interesting read. Learn something new every day.LOL. I like the way you put your quilts together.I will try this next time...

Blog Entries
    OH MY!!! Bless you for your perseverance!

I am sorry, I am sitting here laughing at the comments. Do you sincerely wish you had never posted this one?

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    This is what I really, really love about this board... I have learned so much reading these posts! I'm sorry for your mess, I admire your tenacity, and you have made me a better quilter. Thanks so much! I can't wait to try a quilt your way.

Oh dear , I feel so bad for you Better luck next time.

Blog Entries
    Me too...what is scrim?

Blog Entries
    Thank you. Never realized there to be a right and a wrong side of batting. Must remember this from now on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    So I have been working on quilts for my kids and a couple kids that my sister wanted to give quilts too. I was making two zig zag quilts at the same time. Got both tops done and because I am using cuddle plush fabric as the backing and didn't want a bunch of quilting on the plush material I always quilt the top to the batting, then wash and dry it, then quilt a line through each zig zag to the backing. Works PERFECT doing
    it this way because I don't prewash my fabric or batting so everything shrinks at the same time prior to attaching the plush which is polyester which we all know won't shrink. Well. I basted both tops to batting yesterday and got the one quilted, then last night started on the second one. I finished it up this morning and tossed it in the washer. I need to have it done by saturday for my sons birthday. Not a big deal I have plenty of time to get it finshed. UNTIL....I pull it out of the washer and realize OH MY GOD. I quilted with the scrim side of the batting next to the top instead of out! thus leaving only a layer of scrim on my quilt top and batting in the seams! I am heading to joann's this evening to buy 4 yards of fabric to start over! My sister will take the quilt with scrim and remove all the stitches and I'll just use it for a gift quilt at a later date! I don't think Zach will be getting his quilt for his birthday. Maybe a belated birthday gift!

So if anyone has read my posts before about quilting the top to the batting and adding the plush backing after. Always make sure you are quilting with the scrim side OUT! Next time I will make sure to take my own advice!
    how do you tell the difference have only used cotton batt. once

Blog Entries
    an interesting lesson thanks for posting

Ugh so sorry. Thanks for the heads up. Just this last week I was thinking of quilting it this way.

This was very interesting to read and I'm glad you posted it! It opened up some new possibities for me as the amount of quilting I might want to do to compliment the top isn't always what I want on the back especially if the back is a plush fabric. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Blog Entries
    Ok, I'll bite, what is "scrim"?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    I don't understand why you can't base all three layers, quilt and then wash. What do you mean by plush? The LQS has done minkee on the back and quilts it. Little confused.
    I use plush as a very broad term. I would quilt this way if I were using fleece, minkee, chenille, ultra cuddle (from joann's which i am using on these), pretty much anything that is polyester and stretches! I for whatever reason I don't really know really don't like when the "pile" of the fabric is all layed down by the quilting on the back. doing it this way minimizes this effect.

I agree if all fabric and batting are prewashed or if there is enough quilting done through all three layers there is no need for doing it this way. However, I don't prewash and I don't like a lot of quilting, so this is how I do it!

I'm gonna go take pictures and post them of a front and back of a quilt done this way. You'll see what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73073-1.htm
    Maybe this will help, all I can really say is it is a very light weight weave almost like a ultralight interfacing that the cotton is punched through. The scrim is what allows us to quilt 10 inches apart. It holds the batting together and keeps it from moving around!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    If you read this thread, there are explanations and photos. ??

ok here ya go...

There is a ton of quilting on the front of this quilt, however, because it is just the front and batting that is quilted that much it is soft cuddly like we all love, its not stiff like alot of over quilted quilts I have felt.

however...when you flip it over there is only enough quilting to keep the backing in place and to keep it from being baggy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry you had to go through all the work. But, one day you will laugh about the "lesson" you learned the hard way.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I do feel sorry for you.....what a lot of work. Just hope the top is salvagable. Thanks for the tip!

Your method makes sense to me when using Minkie or other plush. In fact I have wanted to use it for a backing but was afraid that a lot of quilting would mess up the plushness of it. So I am going to try your method. I'm a little concerned about getting a bunch of lint in the innards of my machine that I'm not supposed to access (will void warranty). Do you have to clean out your bobbin case real frequently doing it this way?

What a drag! sounds like something I would do.

I've never heard of this method....but I use Quilters Dream batting where there is no scrim. You might want to check out their website to see the difference in their batting. I couldn't imagine washing a quilt with just the top and batting....but then many people do a lot of things I would never contemplate doing which doesn't make it wrong or right. Guess there are methods for everything. That said, Quilters Dream doesn't require washing it prior to quilting. Cotton batting is just that cotton and I can only imagine the mess it would create but again I have never heard of this so am at a loss as to your particular procedure.

Banned
    But even if you've quilted the entire top of the quilt and the batting, then when you quilt the backing through the top and batting minimally after you wash the unfinished quilt, don't you get bagginess on the backing because of too much spacing between the quilting you eventually do for the backing? I still don't get it myself. Why bother to wash the finished quilt top and batting at all before you finish the whole thing? Why not just prewash your fabrics for your top before you begin?

Blog Entries
    I agree with Amand'a Grandma - why do you do it that way? It seems like twice as much work as quilting the 3 layers together at the beginning and then putting them in the washer. That's how most of us do it. I'm ready to learn something new!

You said you do it with 'plush.' Are you talking about fleece? When I use fleece, I use it as both backing and batting - in other words, just 2 layers, and I use spray adhesive so it doesn't stretch. I've done this with 6 or 7 children's & lap quilts - works great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast