Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Underground Railroad quilt by Elenear Burns Help >

Underground Railroad quilt by Elenear Burns Help

Underground Railroad quilt by Elenear Burns Help

Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM

You are correct, this is only a "story", not fact. The fact is that it was discovered to be a "story"....it is nice one, you have to admit,...the real story is that you made a beautiful quilt that will be shared with family for decades to come.
Now that is a great story and a piece of art to be passed along.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks for posting that psychonurse, I will include that in my backing on mine. The main part of my backing is going to be pieced words anyway. "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up never give in" I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, and feel those ideas fit well w/ the idea real or imagined of the URR quilts. Whether it is a big myth or truth, makes no difference to me it is the idea behind it that does.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
You are not likely to be able to use a library's or other business/organization's printer to print onto fabric as they'll be concerned about damage to their machines. (not likely to happen, but still.....) You'll have to find a friend who'll let you use their inkjet printer to transfer what you want to print onto fabric.

1. Cut a piece of freezer paper the size of the paper that fits the printer. (This is merely your stabilizer for the fabric.

2. Press the shiny side of the freezer paper, without steam, to the WRONG side of the fabric you wish to use as the label.
3. Trim the fabric to the size of the freezer paper if you didn't before.
4. Line the fabric-fused paper up into the printer so that the printing will be on the fabric -- NOT the paper -- and print as usual.
5. Gently remove the freezer paper from your fabric.
6. Be sure the ink is thoroughly dried before getting this fabric damp or wet. If you press to turn the edges for appliqueing it down to the back of the quilt, be sure to use NO steam. Using an HP printer and HP inks, I have washed many quilts with these printer done labels with no problems, especially after waiting for a few weeks. Even those done in color or with fancy printed borders.

Jan in VA
Jan I am so glad you are on this quilt board. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
You are not likely to be able to use a library's or other business/organization's printer to print onto fabric as they'll be concerned about damage to their machines. (not likely to happen, but still.....) You'll have to find a friend who'll let you use their inkjet printer to transfer what you want to print onto fabric.

1. Cut a piece of freezer paper the size of the paper that fits the printer. (This is merely your stabilizer for the fabric.
2. Press the shiny side of the freezer paper, without steam, to the WRONG side of the fabric you wish to use as the label.
3. Trim the fabric to the size of the freezer paper if you didn't before.
4. Line the fabric-fused paper up into the printer so that the printing will be on the fabric -- NOT the paper -- and print as usual.
5. Gently remove the freezer paper from your fabric.
6. Be sure the ink is thoroughly dried before getting this fabric damp or wet. If you press to turn the edges for appliqueing it down to the back of the quilt, be sure to use NO steam. Using an HP printer and HP inks, I have washed many quilts with these printer done labels with no problems, especially after waiting for a few weeks. Even those done in color or with fancy printed borders.

Jan in VA
I'm concerned that, in using the inkjet printer, the story you print will bleed when you wash the quilt. How do you prevent this?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:27 PM

I took photos of my mother's art and printed it onto prepared fabric (bought at Joann's or some such). We followed the instructions on the packaging and have not had any problem with bleeding or fading. We made this quilt when the product first came on the market and there weren't even examples in magazines yet!

Edited to add: We did print them on an inkjet printer.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:32 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
I'm concerned that, in using the inkjet printer, the story you print will bleed when you wash the quilt. How do you prevent this?
Time. That's all it took for mine.
Sorry not to be more specific or technology oriented than that! I am thinking of one personal quilt in particular that was made in 1993 with a computer printed label (HP Deskjet) that is still legible.

Jan in VA
Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 PM

laurafaith55, Jan is right on target. I would add that I turn my freezer backed printed paper over and Dry iron on the unshiny side to set the ink. Let it cool completely before peeling off the freezer paper. Never have had one dye anything.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:45 AM

I just finished this quilt. After printing the story,I framed the square. I really like doing this quilt. I will pass the quilt on to my grandchildren in hopes they never have to relive the story.