Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unfriendly Quilt Shops?

Never heard of that before! I have put myself in the car with the blocks and gone on my to a different shop!!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    geesh, sounds like the sister of a shop around here...
    it is sad when store owners go out of their way to keep good business away.
    she does not understand word of mouth can make or break a business. i hope this experience does not sour her toward quilt shops there are are alot who are totally opposite....in fact my favorite lqs LOVES SHOW AND TELL and they do not care one bit if the fabric came from anywhere else, or the pattern or anything like that...in fact they do not require you to buy their fabric if you take a class. you may need a pattern or book specific but you are welcome to bring fabrics from your stash; they don't ask...they don't comment (unless of course it is something fabulous they want some of too!)
    that (other one) we pretty much avoid unless we have to have something we just can not find anywhere else, or have to have it right away-no time to order from somewhere else...that's too bad too...i still stop in once in awhile when the owner is not there...i'm friends with her employees but i don't give her much of my $$--she treated my hubby poorly when he was christmas shopping and lost a $200 sale...he walked out and went to the (good/friendly) shop. makes you wonder how they stay in business...
    I had an experience at one of my LQS, me and my Sweetheart were shopping for thread to match binding and when I opened my bag to pull out the fabric piece to match we were both followed throughout the store. I picked up on it first then my Sweetheart did he became so upset that he said leave eveything on the counter and walk way. I have never been back. I use to leave at least $200 everytime I went in.
    Too bad for them.

I'm sorry if this got people all worked up. I just felt sorry for the woman who had the experience -- I was there when she was telling the story. She was a new quilter and was truly amazed that she wouldn't be charged a fee for assistance. I agree, probably 99.9 percent of the quilt shop employees and owners are more than thrilled to see new projects and help in any way that they can. It just takes one stinker to discourage a new quilter. I do know from my own experience and that of a friend that a particular quilt shop owner could get really snippy if you brought in "foreign" fabric -- she's out of business, too! Let's all just say thank you to all of those wonderful people who love their quilter/customers and love their jobs -- sharing our quilting passions with them is half the fun of quilting -- it isn't a hobby that can truly be enjoyed alone!

Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama
    Until you have seen it and experienced it, it's just a story from someone about someone else.
    We don't know what really happened and have to give the other party a chance to explain themselves too.

Just to be fair.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I have never heard of such a thing!

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jane
    She was a new quilter and was truly amazed that she wouldn't be charged a fee for assistance.
    And is there any possibility it was said in jest, and she just had absolutely no sense of sarcasm/humor?

Really. New quilter walks in and announces it's her first visit to a quilt shop. I can tell you right away that employees in my LQS would have totally kidded with her - and would then proceed to offer hours and hours of help to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    One of our LQS can be like that depending on who is working and what kind of mood she is in .....she is sometimes snippy and gets short. I go to the owner now if I want help.
    Since you now go to the owner if you need help did you make mention about her snippy employee?

We have an LQS in a neighboring town with great quality fabric at fantastic prices and yesterday was probably the 4th time I've been in there. Everytime I have been owner and employees have always been very helpful. Yesterday I experienced buying fabric and the owner giving me what was left on a bolt if I said I wanted two yards of it and ended with 2 3/4 yards for price of 2 yards which was on the sale table of $1.98 a yard. Very same fabric is $5.95 yard at Walmarts.

She did the same with the regular retail price fabrics I bought. There were two different ones that had just a bit on it and I wanted 1 yard of each at $5.95 a yard and she gave me the rest of it at that price not charging me for that extra 3/4 yd or that extra 1/2 yard.

She also was very helpful in helping me with color matching with some of the fabrics I was interested in.

I left there with $105 and some change of fabric which probably should have been about $120.00

I was going to my sew club and told them how I was treated and last evening one gal told me she went with her neice and they spent (she) almost $70 and her neice almost $220 worth of fabric all because of the customer service.

Based on my experiences that 3 or 4 times I've been there and certainly after yesterday guess where I'll be buying my fabric anymore........certainly not Walmarts since now I've seen the difference in quality for about same price Walmart sells theres. Hate to say I have paid $5-7 a yard at Walmart and quality not as good as this place.

Now I also don't need to make a special trip to Savannah at Hancock's or JoAnn's but will from now all buy all my materials at Wards Sewing Basket in Jesup. I've found out this LQS has been open for 41 years. I never knew it existed until about 5 months ago and probably because I wasn't into sewing prior to that.

I can't imagine anyone doing what the OP has stated here with that lady but than again you never know.

Positive or negative remarks regarding a business certainly does get around pretty fast so it can make or break a business for sure.

Just makes you wonder what has happened to stores offering friendly service as a policy. I think they'll find that once will be enough for a lot of places. I've always used my local UPS store to enlarge things and they never used to charge. Guess I'll have to check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    This reminds me of an experience at a local UPS mailing store recently. The sign on the copy machine said to "ask for help". When I got through, he charge me for helping me on top of the price per page copied. I got no where when I asked why the sign did not say there was a charge for the needed assistance. Also, when he pushed the button to make the copy darker, that was an additional "editing" charge.

I hope this doesn't permanently discourage this newbie from quilting. The only time I have heard of something similar is when teachers have a 2nd "class" where they will meet students at a store to help them choose fabric for a class for a fee. That I think is okay to do because the teacher is spending additional time besides the actual class time. However, if she was going to be charged a fee just during a normal shopping trip, that is weird beyond words.

Blog Entries
    never heard that happening before. the other day i got a fat qtr and didn't like it's color when i got home. much too light. i went back the next day and got a darker one. the girl let me exchange it too! i had my money out. so she did well in keeping a customer happy. they just took over this shop. it had closed and she just re-opened it. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz
    We have an LQS in a neighboring town with great quality fabric at fantastic prices and yesterday was probably the 4th time I've been in there. Everytime I have been owner and employees have always been very helpful. Yesterday I experienced buying fabric and the owner giving me what was left on a bolt if I said I wanted two yards of it and ended with 2 3/4 yards for price of 2 yards which was on the sale table of $1.98 a yard. Very same fabric is $5.95 yard at Walmarts.

She did the same with the regular retail price fabrics I bought. There were two different ones that had just a bit on it and I wanted 1 yard of each at $5.95 a yard and she gave me the rest of it at that price not charging me for that extra 3/4 yd or that extra 1/2 yard.

She also was very helpful in helping me with color matching with some of the fabrics I was interested in.

I left there with $105 and some change of fabric which probably should have been about $120.00

I was going to my sew club and told them how I was treated and last evening one gal told me she went with her neice and they spent (she) almost $70 and her neice almost $220 worth of fabric all because of the customer service.

Based on my experiences that 3 or 4 times I've been there and certainly after yesterday guess where I'll be buying my fabric anymore........certainly not Walmarts since now I've seen the difference in quality for about same price Walmart sells theres. Hate to say I have paid $5-7 a yard at Walmart and quality not as good as this place.

Now I also don't need to make a special trip to Savannah at Hancock's or JoAnn's but will from now all buy all my materials at Wards Sewing Basket in Jesup. I've found out this LQS has been open for 41 years. I never knew it existed until about 5 months ago and probably because I wasn't into sewing prior to that.

I can't imagine anyone doing what the OP has stated here with that lady but than again you never know.

Positive or negative remarks regarding a business certainly does get around pretty fast so it can make or break a business for sure.
    What a great shop -

They sure won't be in business very long. I am sure word will get out fast about their unfriendly policies.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone ever heard of quilt shops charging a fee for helping a customer choose fabrics for their project? I heard that a quilt shop in Chesterton, Indiana, did this to a woman. What's worse is that she had brought some antique quilt blocks to the store to try to find some fabric to go with them and she was stopped at the door and told to leave them in her car. They did not want fabric from another quilt shop in their shop. Has anyone had an experience like this? You can be sure, I will never set foot in THAT shop! :thumbdown:
    OMY goodness, how rude...that's weird

One LQS around here kicks people out at closing time.... A couple ladies I took a class with was telling me that it happened to them and they were buying! The next day they went to the 'other' LQS and spent more money...... I went to the 'other' LQS, doors were locked and we turned to leave (not a big deal to me, I knew it was after hours and wasn't upset), but the owner came to the door and said, we're still here, come on it. An extra 1/2 hour got her an 80 dollar sale......

It does make a difference!

You can be sure that had that been me, I would most certainly taken those squares back to my car, gotten in and turned on the ignition and found my way to a shop elsewhere that liked to sell fabric.

Has anyone ever heard of quilt shops charging a fee for helping a customer choose fabrics for their project? I heard that a quilt shop in Chesterton, Indiana, did this to a woman. What's worse is that she had brought some antique quilt blocks to the store to try to find some fabric to go with them and she was stopped at the door and told to leave them in her car. They did not want fabric from another quilt shop in their shop. Has anyone had an experience like this? You can be sure, I will never set foot in THAT shop! :thumbdown:
    And I would have kept right on going to another shop.

I've been snubbed at a LQS. I think it's because of the way I dress. To them I don't look like a quilter. I still wear long hair and Harley shirts and jeans. Thats the only thing I can think of. I don't go there anymore.

Banned
    I truly don't believe a quilter has a certain look. I use to work at a quilt shop and all people were different. That was the best part of the job, meeting new and different people from myself. Sorry you were treated unkind, I think they should have opened their arms up to you because all people bring a different idea to a quilt. :)
    With that said, I had a customer snub me very badly once. She didn't think I knew anything because I was only 31 but looked about 25. Little does she know I have probably made more quilts in my lifetime already than she ever will. And I get paid to do it. I make roughly 50 a year for the last 10 years for 2 LQS.... And when 1 sold I had other shops fighting to get me because I stay exclusive to the wonderful people who take good care of me too. And the quilts were big ones, not little ones. But that is how I make extra money for my family.....And that is exactly why I ignored her rude comments about me not knowing anything about fabric, patterns or quilting. Joke is on her... :)
    And I would love to see some of your quilts. Currently I am working on a Harley Tshirt quilt (again). They seem to be very popular lately. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by redvette54
    I've been snubbed at a LQS. I think it's because of the way I dress. To them I don't look like a quilter. I still wear long hair and Harley shirts and jeans. Thats the only thing I can think of. I don't go there anymore.

Yeah, I think that proprietor has some real problems! With people like that working for you, and charging to select fabric???, I'd say that's one quilt shop that won't be in business long...

That is BS...

Having been a business owner in the past, I'd want to hear the other side of the story before making a decision on that.

Not like that - but I've visited a LQS several years ago...went twice in fact and the 2nd time confirmed my dislike...Wasn't greeted - had to interrupt the woman there to ask her about quilt charm bracelets. She promptly went back to looking at the computer screen after answering my question - briefly. Visit #2 the same. Only reason I went there in the first place was because I had a gift certificate. Told DH no more certificates for that place....

Doesn't sound to me like they'll be in business very long. I always drag fabric into a shop (even when I didn't buy it there) so I can match it up. I'm not about to "pay" someone to assist me in a shop where I'm going to spend money. :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    Two sides to every story LOL

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast