Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Unfriendly Quilt Shops?

Obviously if it was antique fabric you were trying to match up, there's no way they could mistake it as stolen from their shop. I've never had a problem taking in fabric to match them, even in Walmart. Did go to an LQS in NC where they were not only rude, but lied and said there wasn't another quilt shop in town when there was one a block away with the sweetest two women who wouldn't even say anything bad about the others. I spent $249.00 and they helped me find a BOM pattern from 2005 on the internet. Never would I pay someone to help me. They're already being paid to help their patrons. Imagine going into Home Depot and having to pay them to help you find proper hardware? NOT!

I went to a local quilt shop that I had never been in. They were friendly till they asked if I bought my machine from them. I told them "no" and they were very cold after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Having been a business owner in the past, I'd want to hear the other side of the story before making a decision on that.
    As a business owner, just curious: what reason can you imagine for that to happen? And I'm being serious, not rude. I don't understand.

i would have just left. and never come back.

Quote Originally Posted by redvette54
    I've been snubbed at a LQS. I think it's because of the way I dress. To them I don't look like a quilter. I still wear long hair and Harley shirts and jeans. Thats the only thing I can think of. I don't go there anymore.
    I guess I'd be in trouble to than because I wear short hair, wear jeans, sneakers and shirt. However I have alot of cash in my wallet.

I certainly don't look like a quilter and I'm not yet but have not been snubbed by the quilt group I belong to or the quilt shop I frequent. I am learning about all this stuff.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by aggie
    Two sides to every story LOL
    And sometimes there are three sides to the story if you happen to be a fly on the wall watching what is going on. :twisted:

Sometimes I wish I were a fly on the wall or ceiling in some situations. :twisted:

Blog Entries
    Exactly my thoughts

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of that and would not go back in if told to take whatever, fabric books, back to my car.

I don't think that shop will last in business very long. She should contact the chamber of commerce and let them know that they are not a very nice place to shop. The chamber is always wanting business to be friendly and welcome people to their town. I might even write a letter to the editor of the local paper to publish. That just ain't right.

I would have turned around at the door! What a rude way to run a business!

I WOULD HAVE LEFT WITH THE BLOCKS!!!!!! :thumbdown:

who wants to go where they are obviously not wanted...

the LQS just up the road from me is very friendly...its very small so usually only 2 people work at the same time...when i went one was gone for lunch so only one little gal was there...even tho she was checking a lady out she still said hello to me when i walked in the door...then she came and asked me if i needed any help when she was finished with the other lady...

and since i was the only customer for awhile we chatted amicably...guess where im going back to...especially since she told me to bring my WIP next time so maybe we could figure out what im doing so wrong that my seams never align properly lol

Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama
    Until you have seen it and experienced it, it's just a story from someone about someone else.
    We don't know what really happened and have to give the other party a chance to explain themselves too.

Just to be fair.
    You are so right. It is only fair to give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps there is a good explanation if this really is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    One LQS around here kicks people out at closing time.... A couple ladies I took a class with was telling me that it happened to them and they were buying! The next day they went to the 'other' LQS and spent more money...... I went to the 'other' LQS, doors were locked and we turned to leave (not a big deal to me, I knew it was after hours and wasn't upset), but the owner came to the door and said, we're still here, come on it. An extra 1/2 hour got her an 80 dollar sale......

It does make a difference!
    My girlfriend and I went into a quilt shop 1/2 hour before closing. I told the owner that I knew they closed in 1/2 hour. She told me not to worry about it - she didn't mind staying. We ended up being there 1/2 hour past closing time but we each spent over $200 - and my girlfried was not a quilter at the time. I love to go to the shop even though the drive is an 1 1/2 each way. I always take tops in I am trying to match something up to and she is always helpful. I may only go to this shop once a year, but the owner always greets me by name when I walk in the door. Customer Service pays off big time!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow! I bet they won't be in business long.
    I can't imagine anyone ever going back to a place like that!

That would be my LAST visit to the shop in question. At our local shop we regularly bring in fabrics we want to match or add to. Most likely we bought the first pieces at the shop anyway. They are always helpful with selecting fabrics etc. You can bet that shop will not be around to long as word spreads about things like that.

I would think helping people find the perfect fabric to match would be a fun part of the job!

Whoa!!! I would definitely NOT shop in that quilt shop. That's unheard of. It's a wonder that they even stay in business.

Blog Entries
    Oh my, I don't think that shop would be in business very long on our town.

Marie M.

sad to hear of such a thing ...

This seems over the top. They won't be in business long. There is a quilt shop near where I live that is unwelcoming. Whenever I go in thwre (never any more) i always get the feeling they're wishing I'd just leave--as soon as I walk in the door! Also, when I referred to a flower in some fabric as a "rose" she corrected me in the snottiest of tones to let me know it was a ranunculous. (like, who cares? A rose by any other name...right?). Once she chastised an employee right in front of me for giving me too big a bag for my purchases. Sheesh! What are these people thinking?

On the flip side - I have bought from sellers on-line based on the glowing praises they have gotten from this site!

I'd have to say though if I had been treated like the lady you mentioned, or my mom had, or anyone I know had, I certainly wouldn't patronize that store!

Quote Originally Posted by gramarraine
    Until you have seen it and experienced it, it's just a story from someone about someone else.
    We don't know what really happened and have to give the other party a chance to explain themselves too.

Just to be fair.
    You are so right. It is only fair to give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps there is a good explanation if this really is the case.
    The first rule for a journalist is: "If your mama says she loves you, check it out." I Googled "quilt shop chesterton indiana" and found three quilt shops in the proximity, but none in Chesterton. However, a pattern maker did list a place in Chesterton that carried his/her patterns. I called the listed phone number and found that it had been disconnected.

There is no way to know why or when the store associated with that number closed. Perhaps the story first alleged is true; perhaps not. But we need to be very careful about the unsubstantiated stories we circulate.

froggyintexas

Blog Entries

Just to be fair.
    I agree, There are usually two sides to every story. I can't imagine any shop that wants to stay in business doing that. There is way too much compition and word does travel fast, especially negative words.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jane
    I heard that a quilt shop in Chesterton, Indiana, did this to a woman. What's worse is that she had brought some antique quilt blocks to the store to try to find some fabric to go with them and she was stopped at the door and told to leave them in her car. They did not want fabric from another quilt shop in their shop
    Well, the only quilt shop there is now closed.

Sounds like urban legend to me, or ONE very disgruntled customer.

You're in Indiana - did you ever hear it or other consistent complaints from others who shopped there?

Or perhaps she arrived while the closing/clearing out sale was going on. Not really a time to roam the aisles planning a quilt.

Nope there are shops like this. I bought my Bernina from them & they are still in business. Don't know how they survive because it can't be desparation because there are 4 shops that I know of that people could go to other than this shop!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast