Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Updating Sewing Room Tables Need Advice please >

Updating Sewing Room Tables Need Advice please

Updating Sewing Room Tables Need Advice please

Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Are your tables exactly the same? I wonder if you could stack one on top of the other? You could store stuff on top of the upper one and still work on the one below it. You could also make an L shape with them with one on bed risers on top of the end of the other. This would only work if the table legs came straight down from the corners.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM

My tables are banquet tables and are not stackable at all. The problem is they are just too large for the room and about 6" too high for me when I am seated, chair is high as it can go and I'm sitting on pillows.. my Ellisimo is a large machine so my hands/arms/shoulders end up with my shoulders/neck all scrunched up. The amount that needs to be taken off from the legs to lower the tables is too much for the leg configuration.Good thoughts though!
Seriously, I think I have tried every configuration there is!!!.... just ask my hubby....lol
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM

My current thoughts are to run a long countertop along the 11' wall under my 6' window. All my machines would fit along this wall. This would be sitting on 3 sets of drawer units. Then have hubby build a new cutting table for me utilizing bookcases and another counter top. This would be quite large and incorporate a pressing area. The only other thing left in the room then would be a double set of cubbies with baskets from Home Depot. As I draw this out it seems to be the best layout for my room. My question still is the depth of my sewing 'table' area. If it's 30" deep as it is now and I run it along under the window... I can't reach the window to open it or the blind... so thinking 24" might be better.
Keep the thoughts coming!!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Only you know what space works best for you and the type of sewing you do.
Some people sew in very tight spaces, and are comfortable.
And some can't function without lots of space.

My suggestion to you would be to try it! .... perhaps take one of your current tables and measure out the smaller sizes you are considering ... then put a barrier to keep you with in that space and see how it works.

Another possibility ... could you L the tables for your machines, or put them back to back, so the space does double duty for both machines?
Could you put them against your walls? Then you could use them that way or pull whichever table you needed to use out from the wall.I wouldn't cut the tables down or get rid of 1 of them without trying this way first.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM

How about kitchen cabinets and a 24" counter top ? After I was reading this I went in to make lunch and noticed my bottom cabinets. They come in sections. You and your husband could put them together along one wall in such a way with a leg opening for you to sit at for your machines and you can cabinets with either door or drawers
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM

I did have a small sewing space, this is the setup that I have, I love the fact, that I can put my machine down and close it all up.
http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/arro...k-p-27463.html