Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
used 8 color catchers and still have dye bleed >

used 8 color catchers and still have dye bleed

used 8 color catchers and still have dye bleed

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Banned

actually neither product is made to FIX this problem.
Retayne will set the dyes, yes, but so will Synthropol, as she is using a fabric that was commercially made and now they dyes have already migrated.

as a side note, if you dried this quilt, then it will most likely remain pink no matter what you do. BUT, you need to control that red or it will bleed forever!

Here are a couple of good information reads about this problem.

http://www.textiletraditions.com/res...bric.htm#bleed

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-bleeding-dyes-from-clothing/

Last edited by jaciqltznok; 02-19-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 AM

Had this issue with a green once. And I had even pre-washed it! Didn't know about Retayne or Synthropol at that point. Was fortunately able to get all of the bleeding out but washed that quilt I don't know how many times with color catchers and still had dye on them. Finally gifted the quilt with a box of color catchers and told them to only wash it alone and with the color catchers.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
have you dried it? if it is still wet, throw it in with some retayne..it MIGHT help, then wash with color catchers again..if not...I can not bring myself to say to what the outcome might be!
DO NOT USE RETAYNE... It will set the dyes.. Use Synthrapol. As a rule of thumb ... retayne prior to cutting to set the dyes. Synthrapol once constructed to remove excess and keep the errant dyes from setting.
The chances of having sucess with Retyane are slim... you stand a better chance with synthropol. And note it would have worked best if you had used it with the first wash. I have had success using it "after" the bleed , but it was used very quickly.

Last edited by Lori S; 02-19-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the advice, I realize that it was a dumb thing to do, but its done, I am going to wait till LQS opens and hope she carries synthrapol, soulds like something I need to buy. the quilt was never in the dryer-so I hope that helps. I never used retayne on it because I was already worried about bleeding, and you need HOT water, so I was affraid to make it worse, I had decided to do a cold wash first. The quilt is a scrappy, and l will use it even pink but would rather it wasnt. Thanks so much for the advice.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM

Cold water, I hope.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

If you can't find Synthrapol at the LQS, you can order it online. Amazon carries it. And yes, it helps if the quilt has not been through the dryer as heat can set some dyes.

Someone else on the QB had this problem and posted before photos. She was able to get out all the bleeds by using Synthrapol in hot water in a very large Jacuzzi tub. She did say she was frightened by how much additional red bled at first, but she kept changing the water and adding Synthrapol and it finally all came out.

As others have mentioned, Retayne is to be used on individual fabrics before they are ever used in a quilt. If you have a bleeder red fabric, for example, one or (at most) two washes in Retayne should permanently set the dyes. If a fabric still bleeds after two washes in Retayne, it should not be used in a quilt.

Once fabrics are in a quilt, Synthrapol suspends unset dye particles in water so they can be washed away instead of settling into other fabrics. A lot of water is needed so that, if there are a lot of dye particles, they can be adequately dispersed throughout the water. Synthrapol does not set dye particles. It has detergent qualities so, to some extent, will lift unset dye particles from fabric. It can take several washings for Synthrapol to lift out all unset dye particles from a bleed.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-19-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM

I AM BACK >>>>I bought sythropol and its on its third wash...its worse, but Ill keep washing, oh my gosh I think it's ruined. The dye just keeps running and the white spares get pinker with each wash, even with the synthropol!!!