Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using the Accuquilt Go to cut strips >

Using the Accuquilt Go to cut strips

Using the Accuquilt Go to cut strips

Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Using the Accuquilt Go to cut strips

I purchased an Accuquilt Go 5-6 years ago. At the time, I used the dies to make a couple of quilts. I ended up not really liking the Accuquilt; I felt that the rotary cutter was sufficient for me. So I stuck the Accuquilt on a shelf in the basement and kind of forgot about it.

Now, though, I've fallen in love with making Bonnie Hunter quilts. Her quilts are mostly made with strips. I still just use a rotary cutter for making her quilts.

BUT, I just now found out that you can cut strips with the Accuquilt. (I'm apparently behind the times). :-)

For those of you who use the Accuquilt to cut strips, do you like it? The strip dies are about $75.00, and I would be willing to probably buy the 2 inch and 2.5 inch dies if it really was fast and accurate.

If you use these particular dies, do you also cut squares from the strips?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 AM

I have the 2.5 strip cutter, I can't say anything negative, I love it, just my opinion x
Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 AM

I have the 2.5' and I love it. I also have a variety of other strip cutters. I use the strips far more often than any other shape.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

If you check online, you can usually find a bit better price.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Have several strip dies and love them!!! I just wait until I find a sale....if possible. I have the 2.5, multi size, and log cabin. Used the multi size and 2.5 to cut for a bargello..just right!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I have the strip dies for my Go! but actually prefer to cut strips with my June Tailor Shape Cut mat and a Quilter's Slidelock ruler on top to keep it from moving. Here is a link to the Quilter's Slidelock: http://quiltersslidelock.com/ . (I also have some Grip Strips on the underside of my Shape Cut mat which I think help to keep the mat from slipping, although it wasn't until I added the Slidelock that I got complete stability.)

When cutting strips with the Go!, I find that I have to stop once or twice while rolling the die through -- to lift up the mat and straighten the fabric. If I don't do that, I get ripples "ironed" into the strips and/or little jagged cuts here and there in the strips. This is caused by the fabric stretching as it is rolled through the machine. I get this even with fabric that is rolled through on the lengthwise grain (which has less stretch than the crosswise grain). Maybe it's user error. I just prefer the Shape Cut for strips. I do *love* the Go! for cutting applique shapes out of freezer paper, for cutting triangles (makes them very easy to match up), for odd shapes such as hexagons, and for complete blocks such as Hunter's Star.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Bonnie uses the Studio Accuquilt to cut her strips. I have most of the strip dies and can't imagine having to cut a lot of strips any other way. The Bonnie Hunter group on Facebook lists all the dies used to make Bonnie's patterns.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:31 PM

June Tailor for me, too. I just finished cutting 700 2-1/2 inch squares and 100 4-1/2 X 2-1/2 inch strips in about an hour. I haven't had a problem with slippage. I cut from right to left using my left hand to steady the Shape Cut.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

When cutting strips with the Go!, I find that I have to stop once or twice while rolling the die through -- to lift up the mat and straighten the fabric. If I don't do that, I get ripples "ironed" into the strips and/or little jagged cuts here and there in the strips. This is caused by the fabric stretching as it is rolled through the machine. I get this even with fabric that is rolled through on the lengthwise grain (which has less stretch than the crosswise grain).
This has never happened to me using the Go strip dies. I use a ruler and fan fold my fabric before putting on the die, like you do to ruler fold fabric for your shelf. That really makes a difference. I get the V shape in my strips when suing the June Taylor Shape Cut.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-23-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:49 PM

I bought my Go! for cutting strips. It works wonderfully! The strips are accurate and it's fast! I also use the strip cutters to make squares. Again, accurate and fast.