Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Elmers School Glue Instead of Pins

Banned
    Blog Entries
    has anyone tried to make their own Starch paste?

the tips are getting harder to find..Hobby Lobby no longer has them here either!

I have done my bindings for years with washable Elmer's glue using the Sharon Shambers method. Most times I machine sew on the bindings after glueing. I have the tips but don't use them. I found I had to squeeze to hard to get the glue to go thru the little hole. I just use the tip that comes with the glue. I just barely squeeze the bottle and get along fine.
    Mary

I have done this and she is right. No shifting, no removing pins and the seam stays together when pressed after sewing.
    ranbro

I will have to try this.

ME-ME-ME *WAVING MY HAND*... LOVE IT....LOVE IT.

I just squeeze some out into a small dish and apply it with a chop stick - and gently smooth it out with the tip. Dry set it with a hot iron. It's a *snap*!!

When I first started making the "10 Min Block" a person (who had made several) suggested that I curve my diamond sides by tacking them down with Elmer's Washable kiddie glue. I was not sure about this, but I tried it. It makes for SWEET top stitching, and it DOES wash out. I'm 100% sold. If it gets real stiff you're using too much glue. Just a very fine line.

Name:  180903_1592244726844_1257683279_31307853_3370083_n.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  50.6 KB
    Last edited by Highmtn; 03-29-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    "It's a *fine line* between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS"~ Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
    I try to post every time this comes up. YOU DO NOT NEED THE TIPS. I just barely open the twist top and use it that way. I DO have the tips but do not use them. They are a carryover from my tole painting days but why use them if it's not necessary. glenda
    Instead of buying expensive tips, get a cheap mechanical pencil. Unscrew the tip from the pencil, take the orange tip off the school glue bottle. With a pair of non-fabric scissors, snip the tip off the school glue bottle. Start with just a little snip, see if the mechanical pencil tip fits. If it is too big, cut a bit more off the bottle. Keep snipping until it fits fairly well. You may get some leakage around the edge, but don't worry, the glue will self-seal the crack.

Blog Entries
    wonerdful info thank you so much

Have not tried it, but I'm going to! Thank you so much for sharing.
    Love 4 stchen

I never wash my quilts once they are finished.(I usually only make wall hanging sized quilts, not bed quilts and fabric is pre-washed). What happens when you leave the glue in?Will it rot the fabric? Stain it? Aside from the suggestions to wash the finished quilt, any other ideas on this? Thanks.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

The glue method is what i use for binding...no clips or pins in my way when i hand sew it down. I don'thave the nice thin tip so i put a glob of glue on a scrap of paper and draw a pin through the puddle picking up just enough glue to sit on the end of the pin.....drop on the quilt then iron.
    The amout I use is really tiny but it holds.

I use Elmers School Glue and heat set it with an iron when I have bias edges to sew together. Works for me. Love it.
    Laura

I use the Elmers School Glue when the grandchildren are going to sew.
    It holds the pieces in place and no pins to hurt the little fingers.

Blog Entries
    I have done it on one binding, it does take time and practice not to make a mess, but it definately makes a very crisp finish on the binding.

I use it for bindings. It works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
    But someone posted it has cornstarch--food, bugs, or does that not matter?

yes but it's also washable and washes out so there is no problem. there are several threads on this board about using washable glue. i use it and it works great.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I think I'll have to try this method. I use glue sticks for lots of other things, just never really thought to use for sewing. Thanks for the information.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Great idea! I want to try this!
    Lori McC

Quote Originally Posted by girlsfour View Post
    I work pt at a fabric store & a customer told me about using Elmers School Glue (has to be the school glue) instead of pinning. When she initially tried it (she was skeptical of this), she immediately liked this method better than pinning. She said it made it so easy to be perfectly accurate.

She bought a special tip that goes on the glue bottle to ensure a thin line. Runs the line of glue inside of the 1/4" seam allowance towards the raw edge of fabric, then goes over it with her iron to hold it. She said the school has cornstarch in it and it completely water soluble so if you want to remove the glue, just wet it a little bit. She said there is absolutely no shifting of fabric and her seams match perfectly.

Has/does anyone done this? I am going to try it out next time I am working on a quilt.
    My sister in law did this this weekend because I saw a u tube on it /may have been posted on this site. It worked GREAT! I can't wait to do it myself. I couldn't find the fine tip so I bought a pkg of three little bottles with metal tips at Hobby Lobby and they work great.

Blog Entries
    I use the school glue all the time. Great for binding, esp. curves. I also use it for mitered corners. Be sure to heat set it with your iron.

Took a work shop on Judy Niemeyer's technique on paper piecing and it uses glue sticks and I am so in love. Penny Haren also uses glue sticks on her pieced applique which is so much fun. Try it. My new favorite quilting tool. I love the glue sticks because it's not as wet as the liquid and applies very easily.
    Robin in TX

Blog Entries
    I buy the fabric applique basting glue (which is heavy starch) in bottles with very long thin nozzles. When the bottle is empty, I refill it with Elmer's School Glue. The long thin nozzles are much better then the small tips for putting down a tiny drop of glue or a long very thin line. I can find the empty bottles online but may as well buy one filled with good basting glue and reuse it.
    Got fabric?

I bought some water SOBO glue to try this method too, I can not wait to try it, and thanks for the directions because I had forgotten...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    So which works better, the liquid glue or the glue stick?
    Yes. Depends on you - with glue sticks you can sew immediately and with liquid you have to either iron or wait until it dries. I use both for applique. Sure beats pinning.

I also have trouble keeping the little tips from clogging. Last time I just used the Elmer's bottle and made little dots and then ironed - worked like a charm.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    I am using glue stick for putting together my trip around the world quilt and it is working great. it makes it so much eaiser to match the blocks up. I have never tried liquid glue but I am sure I will in the future. I just let it air dry a bit then I sew. I havent tried an iron to heat set it so I dont know about that.
    Last edited by Dretha; 03-29-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    You can press the Elmer's School glue and it dries instantly.
    Got fabric?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast