Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using stash to create kits for travel >

Using stash to create kits for travel

Using stash to create kits for travel

Old 08-24-2021, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Default Using stash to create kits for travel

As I’ve tried to stick to my fabric moratorium and only use stash, I’ve managed to put a nice dent ( after 3 years of moratorium) but still have plenty. This past weekend hubby and I went on a little day trip to look at 5th wheels. Our retirement plan is to sell our house buy a truck and 5 th wheel to live in- winters where it’s warm and summers ( hopefully) in Maine. We found one that actually really fit all our check marks- including a bonus room with a desk and sofa- Jeff immediately said— “ this could be your sewing room!”
of course the long arm will have to be given up.
anyway- I started thinking about this and what I really would want to take. Then started thinking- I have bookshelves full of patterns- most I will never use…ive de stashed lots of fabric but not patterns.
it’s time for me to start looking through them with new eyes
I’m thinking I could choose the ones I realistically do want to make- then find the fabrics for said pattern, do prep work and create kits that are complete - pattern, fabrics, thread, everything I need to make it- put it all in big ziplocks and put them all together in a tote that will fit nicely in one of the outside storage areas. Then I can just grab one and work on it as long as it takes. I always have a hand travel project going on but these would be for when we are actually staying somewhere.
since I haven’t been very productive this summer this might be a good ( diversion) and might help get me back into productivity plus I bet it will really clean up those fabric shelves.
there is no rush, we still have a couple years but I’m thinking that if I start working on my downsizing now it won’t be so hard later.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:39 PM

I like the idea of putting all the pieces together into project tubs. Sounds like you have a great plan laid out!
Old 08-24-2021, 04:32 PM

Some friends did this with a home base. Mail was shipped there
Old 08-25-2021, 01:14 AM

I recently donated patterns/books to local guilds. Found dup patterns. How did that happen?
Old 08-25-2021, 02:18 AM

Exciting!!! Great idea on the kits!!
Old 08-25-2021, 03:26 AM

That sounds like a great idea and since you've given yourself a couple of years, a very "doable" idea.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great idea!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:10 AM

one of my brothers and his wife did this. sold the house and bought an RV. It was great for a couple of years, then they started to struggle, It is expensive to move around the country. I think they were getting something like 8 miles a gallon, and then there is the parking fees, and the repairs on the vehicle and RV. Things can get exciting during bad weather in a RV. Then they started to have some health problems. Normal doctor on the other side of the country. Things really did not end up well. My brother passed away unexpectedly far from us. Wife did not know how to drive the RV. Took quite a while to sort everything out. So if you do this without a home base. I would recommend really thinking about what you will do if things go not as planned. Keep a rainy day fund. Don't want to be a gloom bringer but it helps to have thought some of these potential problems through....and I think not having my long arm would be a deal breaker for me. yikes....and where would I put all the things I love to use while stitching??? umm...I would maybe think about a smaller travel trailer or even a summer rental in a warmer place. Those 5th wheels and RV's cost a pretty penny and you could rent a place for several summers instead. oh...and don't forget, you would not have all those snowy days that you do in northern Michigan to stay inside and stitch!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:36 AM

Oh how I wish I could do this but it is out of my reach. Michigan winters can get to you as we get older. I am virtually hibernating in the winter months until a friendly neighbor comes to rescue us. It would be our luck that something would go wrong. Pack up the kits and get ready for a new stage in your life. It could be with wheels or it could be in another direction. At least you will be ready.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:50 AM

Check out the RV Quilters group on FB if you are a FB user. Very active group and they share campground and quilt shop locations and lots of ideas for traveling with quilting supplies.!