Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ut Oh....Iron Question >

Ut Oh....Iron Question

Ut Oh....Iron Question

Old 06-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Unhappy Ut Oh....Iron Question

So I took some time off from quilting because I just was not feeling it at all and my sewing machine had started to act up a little bit. I didn't feel like figuring out the issue at the time, so I closed up my cabinet, grabbed some yarn and did some knitting. Sometimes, you do just need to walk away from things, just to breathe.

I picked it back up just this past weekend, figured out my issue with my machine (bobbin winding problem), cleaned it up real nice and got back into my hexagon quilt. I was making some really good headway, worked myself into a good rhythm, things were feeling really nice.

I was going into the kitchen to get me a fresh cup of tea, I've been on a London Fog kick lately and when I moved around my ironing table, I bumped it just right and sent it and my iron into the floor. They are bare and the iron landed flat. I picked it up as quick as I could, but there is now a dark stain on the sole plate.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of it? I tried to turn the iron on to the absolute highest setting to just burn it off, but it's really not budging and vinegar didn't touch it. I don't want to put anything flammable on it for the obvious reasons, I'm just kind of stumped.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Is it leaving marks on the fabric when you use it?

Find some scraps of something that you don't care bout to try it.

If it was mine - if it did not leave marks on the fabric - and did not smell "funny" - I would probably continue to use it.

If it did leave marks on the fabric - go to plan B - and attempt to get them off.

Sorry that you "hit a pothole" when things seemed to be going well again.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:53 AM

The first thing I did was pull an old white sheet that I have plans of cutting down and ironed it out, it's not leaving a mark and the only time it smelled funny was when the accident first happened, I haven't gotten the smell back since. I've been using it without any problems, but the stain does bug me enough I had to ask, lol.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:27 PM

If the sole plate is non-stick, I'd try one of the kitchen scouring pads made for non-stick cookware. If it's metal, I would try Bartender's Friend or Bon Ami cleanser. You could also try silver or copper polish. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

I've had good luck with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. (It's magic!)
Old 06-23-2020, 02:20 PM

I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean my iron. Works great!
Old 06-23-2020, 03:43 PM

I was going to suggest Mr.Clean magic eraser and Barkeepers friend, both of which I use alot in my household, and Mr Clean magic eraser on my iron often. Let us know how they work .
Old 06-23-2020, 06:42 PM

use a combo of baking soda and vinegar, instead of just vinegar, allow it to fizzle on the surface before wiping clean. but the magic eraser may be best.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've had good luck with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. (It's magic!)
I agree with dunster.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:38 AM

I always use Dritz iron-off hot iron cleaner when the sole plate on my iron gets dirty. It works like a champ and I've never had a problem using it.