Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
very old Sunbonnet Sue quilt top >

very old Sunbonnet Sue quilt top

very old Sunbonnet Sue quilt top

Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 AM

Default very old Sunbonnet Sue quilt top

I have a quilt top made for me about 79 years ago. After all these years it had what I call "age spots". I soaked it in Oxy and it came out pretty good except for a few small holes where the darkest stains were. I plan to finish this little quilt off with batting and backing. My question is what to do about the holes?
Should I patch them, ignore them or what.

I am new to the board and have enjoyed all the threads. Everyone seems so nice and helpful.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 AM

I would fix them someway. Unless you're not going to use it. I have 2 oldies and I had to mend them. I have not worried about doing this. If it isn't fixed, it isn't a quilt to use is it. IMHO
Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 AM

I wonder about you all using oxyclean on quilts (is that what you are talking about here). I used some of that stuff on clothes and it made holes in everything. I googled it afterwards and read the reviews and that is what people said too. I have a couple of old quilts. I wondered about fixing them but I was afraid it would ruin their look. So far I have just left them alone.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

It might depend on how big the holes were and in what location ? Can you post a pic so we can see ? besides we would love to see the quilt top
Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Could you find an old piece of lace or doily, trim, etc. that you could put over the holes.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 AM

I would maybe patch them
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 AM

Maybe a small flower or button could hide them. Or maybe a peice of similar material.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM

I recently bought a 20 to 30's quilt and bought some stuff from quiltinaday web site to get the stains out of it. I can rembember the name but you let it soak in the mixture in the sun. I talked to someone who does alot of this stuff and she suggested mending in reproduction fabric to match what was already done. If possible I'd take the square out that had the hole in it and replace it. I'm sure if you looked around and found some quilting museums and asked them might say something else so it's up to you. The one thing that I was told was try and not fold it the traditional way and then ever so often go back in and refold it so that it doesn't get those fold stain lines in it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Welcome, from Central Texas!

I like cjackaitlin's idea of a small flower "patch." If the spot looks too high, for a flower, maybe a small butterfly would work.

Another way to fold special quilts, is to "pad" the first folds with clean towels.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks everyone. Small holes,about the size of the end of my finger. One in the sashing and one in the background. I like the idea of lace or ribbon. I don't know how to send a picture, but when I have finished it I will have one of my grands to show me how. I plan to use it as a wall hanging.