Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Old 10-11-2021, 03:43 AM

Monday morning update:
My plan was to .
1. Make sample blocks for a gift quilt. Just two! Not this weekend.
2. Make more squares using the 2.5" squares from the Birthday Swap ( 7 done and 13 more to go) Not this weekend
3. Quilt a UFO - (Did more and now 3/4 done! Yeah. )
4. Deliver a quilt to my longarmer friend - maybe. Not happening this week-end. On the Calendar for Wednesday.

I did attend the Virtual 25th Anniversary Celebration for the Virginia Quilt Museum that I thoroughly enjoyed. The cross hatch quilting is nearly done. I will whittle away at my list throughout this week and will anticipate a long Thanksgiving Weekend VQW.

Thank you for hosting, Heather. It is so motivating to have a dedicated span of time to take on a quilting task and to see the progress even when the list doesn't get finished.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:24 AM

So many people got so many things done. I love virtual sewing weekends, too. I will probably be too busy with company during the VQW planned for Thanksgiving but I'll try to join in when I can.

It's been fun, all. Thanks for letting me join in.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:31 AM

Hope everyone has a good week/month ahead of them!

I did indeed get the serpentine stabilizing done on Aunt Debbie's top. Hopefully by the next VQW I will be able to show a completed picture. Maybe. It's a goal anyway...

Today I will bring out the BSR (bernina stitch regulator) and see how I do with FMQ. Will be a test piece (or 2 or 20) first! It takes me quite a bit to switch to FMQ, I keep smashing the foot pedal and wondering why the machine isn't moving (hint to myself, it's because I need to be moving the fabric first!). Getting the sewing table this past summer and being able to lower the machine to table top height has made a big positive change to my physical ability to move the tops around and seems (as hoped) to be improving the technical quality.

My initial desire for the large spaces was a random meander for sort of a lacy effect in the large areas, especially those big expanses of yellow. I'm currently fighting myself against the desire to put some sort of quilted emblem in each corner of the fan blocks, whether that's a flower or UM or something else. I do think random fill is the best for how I've started but I can't draw that out so well in my notebook.

I have a couple of tops that have planned quilting designs and I am working at improving my FMQ skills to work on those. Good thing is I still have plenty of tops, at least 20 more tops all with backings and bindings already made.

While on a Redbox movie binge with the hubby in my non-sewing room time, I finished the hand part of the binding of last year's Bonnie Hunter Mystery, Grassy Creek (or I call my top "Silver Linings"). I am soooo slow at the hand binding... but I have the previous mystery, Frolic to do next. Binding is on by machine, Tuesday quilt group is tomorrow and I can start the hand work there.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:02 AM

Trying again to see if I can post pictures of my weekend efforts.
Attached Thumbnails f78d10ab-d76e-4e21-8f03-fc7108829b13.jpeg   24a825af-f0e6-4d25-ad5c-b9c518c4ee98.jpeg   ed47bffa-a829-4a0b-b039-d5f331c5d78a.jpeg  
Old 10-11-2021, 10:41 AM

Update for the weekend, only have one more fabric to cut and then I can start sewing. Have everything stacked and labeled with post-it notes as to which piece it is. Stopped cutting yesterday when I made my second error! Glad I always buy extra. This quilt is a Queen and has over 600 different pieces! I usually only do Twin or Lap quilts, but I want one for our bed so a cutting we will go. Continued to work on the project today until I had to drive a friend to the clinic for her mammogram, For me that is more important than quilting. My appointment last year found a spot, and now I'm a survivor!

Just had lunch and back to the cutting table. Only 49 more cuts and I can start piecing.

Heather, thanks for posting the thread love these VQW! See everyone next month.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:30 PM

Default Monday Update

Eeish - had a bad night last night. We ended up getting some storms around 3am, which threw my brain into a tizzy and I ended up needing my heavier meds. I haven't been awake but maybe an hour and a half, I still have an aggressive headache and we're due for storms off and on the rest of the week.

No progress on the table quilt today, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get anything done with this headache, but I did make a replacement pin cushion since it was an easy way for me to at least get something accomplished without using my quilting brain. I do want to make another chicken pin cushion with Lisa Pay's pattern, but that involves too much brain, so this little guy will do until I feel better. I used a couple nine patch blocks from the leaders and enders I had, I think he turned out pretty good and I weighed him down with half a bag of rice, so if this one happens to fall to the floor, I'll actually hear it and maybe keep my boy dog from chewing on it.

I did have a thought that I wrote down in my bullet journal so I wouldn't forget, but I am considering making a pin cushion for each quilt that I make using the block that is in the quilt from the leftover scraps. So, for the table quilt, one side would be a Maple Leaf and the other side would be QSTs. I think it would be a neat way to showcase the various quilts I've made over the years.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:34 PM

Pin cushion didn't attach to my last post. I think I'm waiting too long and it times out or something, I know I had it attached at one point.
Attached Thumbnails pin.jpg  
Old 10-12-2021, 02:59 AM

Monkey is great
Old 10-12-2021, 05:24 AM

Love your pin cushion. I have that pattern and should make one as my original, which was a gift, is wearing out.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:36 AM

What dates are the virtual weekend for November?