Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 8/14-8/16/20 >

Virtual quilting weekend 8/14-8/16/20

Virtual quilting weekend 8/14-8/16/20

Old 08-16-2020, 04:24 PM

Sewbizgirl, that is just so adorable. I just love it.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 PM

Today has been a non-sewing day. The only sewing I managed this weekend was to put the binding on a quilt and stitch on the label. My husband and I have been very busy between dentist appointments, acquiring two pieces of furniture, the subsequent cleaning/rearranging, purchasing and assembling a ShelterLogic garage, attending a birthday party and going to the lake to swim, it has been a whirlwind. I love dropping in to see what everyone else has worked on, though. I’ll definitely be sewing tomorrow, though, as it is crafting day with my friend.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:32 PM

Rob, WOW is all I can say. Your butterfly is gorgeous. I am always amazed when I look at thread painting at quilt shows.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:15 PM

A creative and busy bunch.

My day was spent working on Harmony, a pattern from GE Quilt Design. The designer hosted 5 live videos today for the sew along. I got 12 of 23 blocks done.

I have been wanting to try a dark background with lights and brights for a while now and this pattern seemed right for it.
Attached Thumbnails 42fb8773-eafa-4ddf-ab68-8d4d5ba8414f.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 08-16-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:46 PM

I finished quilting the applique quilt today. Binding will be tomorrow. It is very heavy & my left shoulder is aching. I'll try to post a picture next VQW. Thanks for hosting, Raggiemom!
Old 08-16-2020, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the VQW, Raggiemom! Enjoyed sewing and sharing with others.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Yesterday's sunny afternoon interfered with my sewing. Hubby BBQed and friends with teenage boys visited and rode dirt bikes while we swam.
I wouldn't call that interearance! Sounds like a fantastic summer afternoon.

Made a bunch of masks and then finally finished getting rows togerher for Boomerang quilt. It needs a good pressing so I can nest the seams before putting it together.

Last edited by Rff1010; 08-17-2020 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
such great work! Don't think I'm patient enough to do thread painting, Rob, but your's is outstanding!. Quilting Vagabond--I was working on the same masks today for grandboys and their Mom--so cute! And I like how you have the elastic with the beads--so am I right that it goes around the ears and then the 2nd beads "clip" together? All I have left to do is the elastic and beads--had planned to do the one where the elastic goes over the head & around the neck at the bottom and then the top is pulled up with a bead. Uses more long pc of elastic and I'm possibly going to run out of it but do have a source. I also made 5 for son that is electrician and informed me that his are getting "grubby". Since he wears a hard hat all day and says that anything tied or even elastic around the top part of the head gets irritating underneath the hard hat. So I added more elastic and a bead to go over the hard hart--hope that works! Want to get these done so I can start a quilt!
I use a 10" piece of elastic for each side, fold in half then push the folded end through a pony bead. Stitch the two ends into the mask. Lastly I take a 12" to 15" piece of twill tape and attach it to the small loop created by the bead for a neck strap.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:27 AM

Rob, your thread work and butterfly is beautiful.
Sewbizgirl, your DGD’s outfit is adorable...I know you enjoy sewing and knitting for them.
Tropit, what a great scrappy project...it looks like a great way to use up a bunch of scraps.
Kara (QuiltahMama) your set up for the jelly roll PMs looks organized and productive in getting them done efficiently.

I didn’t get any sewing done this weekend but enjoyed watching everyone’s projects and progress.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:45 AM

Default Update on progress

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I don't know how these always sneak up on me. But I am ready.
1. Finish Pink/Purple orphan block quilt. (sashing, layer, quilt)
2. Layer and sandwich green 2.5" square quilt.
3. Make 6 masks for teachers returning to school.

That is more than what I think I can finish in a week-end, but it does force me to stay focused yet gives me options. All I need to do is find a good long audio book to accompany me while sewing.
#1 Got the sashing on the orphan block quilt! Discovered that I did not have an appropriate backing. My stash failed me.
#2 Taa-Daa and check, check! Layered and sandwiched my green 2.5" quilt. Ready for quilting!
#3 No masks
#4 Added the binding to a finished quilt. Ready for holiday gifting.

Looking forward to the Labor Day VQW!