Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--April 19-21, 2019 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--April 19-21, 2019

Virtual Quilting Weekend--April 19-21, 2019

Old 04-20-2019, 09:58 PM

Wow! I was just reading through the posts and everyone's projects are looking great! I achieved my goal and completed the purple jigsaw puzzle quilt. I used a QAYG method from Stitched in Color -https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog//2016/08/how-to-assemble-finish-quilt-as-you-go.html. I started the process and did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I think it was the way I chose to quilt it that made it less than enjoyable. Attaching the backing and completing it was really a snap, though. I'm so pleased that it's finished. My next goal is to complete some placemats that I started ages ago. I can't wait to see more on this thread!
Attached Thumbnails jigsaw-puzzle-quilt-complete.jpg   jigsaw-puzzle-quilt-back.jpg  
Old 04-21-2019, 04:55 AM

nice work everyone!

I picked backing for 10 floppies I had in the sewing room. I have one still there, as I wanted to add borders but had not decided what - and then forgot about it.

I think I have 9 out in the shed, so less than I thought I had so that is good!
Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 AM

Yesterday we took my Mom out to lunch as a surprise because there will be no Easter family dinner this year. She lives about 90 minutes away so there is a bit of extra time involved. Then we were invited to come for a bonfire at some friends of the hubby who live very nearby, it was fun but not very productive sewing.

So I did get all the white-on-white pieces pinned to their appropriate halves. With my vision issues it is hard for me to tell which side is correct, but I think I did ok -- at least if despite my checks if any are inside out, I'm going to leave them that way. Progress was made.

Hubby says it doesn't bother him but the sewing room is just on the other side of the headboard. I'm unfortunately an early riser and he's trying to sleep so I'm on the computer at the other end of the house right now instead of sewing. Goal for today is to get everything that is pinned sewn and pressed. I may be able to add on the purple for either the borders or the blocks, but that might be a bit ambitious for today... Hubby works a lot of OT, Sunday morning is our "date time" and we go bowling then typically check a couple of thrift stores for fabric and other things.

Should be able to get back on the sewing machine around noon -- until then, my virtual companions!
Old 04-21-2019, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Dedemac, I would think all the pictures are the same size. I took them with the cell phone and didn't change any of the settings. Would they have changed size somehow?

I finished the On Point QAL top that I was supposed to be making! It's 68x72, so a decent size. Part of today was devoted to making out the greeter schedule for church for the next quarter. Tomorrow I have two blocks left to do to be all caught up on BOW/BOM. I'll do those during the Yankees game.

Will check back in tomorrow after Easter dinner.
great progress Heather! I have issues attaching photos too, they are too large. So always have to compress them in order to successfully upload them to quilting board
Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 AM

MichelleC, I love your puzzle quilt! It's beautiful! I tried to make one years ago, but I ended up completely "puzzled" and couldn't figure it out!

I finished sandwiching, tying and binding another one of those 5 tops. I got the 3rd one sandwiched, so 2 done and 1 in progress, so I have 2 and a half more to go! I just realized that I'm half way on the path to finish all 5!! Yippee!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:22 AM

Love the puzzle quilt!

I got the binding sewn on the back of my Tumbler. Now I am going to machine sew it on the front. Not sure it can be done, but I'm going to give it a try as it's going to be a charity quilt and they get a lot of washing and use so a hand sewn binding isn't as practical. Wish me luck!

Watson
Old 04-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Awesome puzzle quilt! Too cute.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Finished up the tumbler quilt. You can see it if you like in "Pictures".

Watson
Old 04-21-2019, 10:06 AM

I've started trying to salvage another UFO. If it works, it will count as two because I took one failed UFO and cut it into strips then added the pieced strips from another UFO that I realize I have no intention of finishing on its own. The mixed piece is very odd looking right now, but I think if I add enough layers of other interesting things to it that I can turn it into an acceptable wall/art quilt. If not, well, I will have had a lot of fun playing with trims and the various stitches on my sewing machine and using the couching feet on my Sweet Sixteen ! And I can always toss it or cut it up again to do something else with. Either way, it will count as two UFOs off my pile once I get done with it... No more sewing for me today, Easter dinner beckons.

Rob
Old 04-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Looks like a some are making great progress, I was doing great until the neighbor started acting strange, police showed up and a lot of yelling happened. He is starting to frighten some of us. During all the commotion I lost my quilting mojo. I have the ham in the oven, watching ten commandments to relax. Will bring dinner to a friend's house and enjoy some cards tonight.