Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Visiting Australia and New Zealand >

Visiting Australia and New Zealand

Visiting Australia and New Zealand

Old 09-02-2019, 08:43 AM

Default Visiting Australia and New Zealand

Next week I am leaving for a month to do sightseeing in Australia and New Zealand. The trip is in 2 parts. Any ideas where I might look for a quilt shop or anything quilt related. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:00 AM

If you are in Auckland New Zealand, there are about four or five quilt shops/ sewing shops. I remember Cushlas Village Fabrics being a lovely store. I took the ferry across to Davenport, from the downtown Auckland and it was in easy walking distance from the dock. http://cushlasvillagefabrics.co.nz

Here is a link to a list of quilt shops and their websites. https://www.all-about-quilts.com/new...ilt-shops.html

I grew up in Whanganui. Lovely town that I still miss a bit. Sometimes I still actually dream about places there. There was one tiny quilt store in Whanganui, on Victoria Ave. I don't remember then name but they were a Janome dealer. It was a cute shop!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 AM

It has been 15 years since my last trip to NZ. I was primarily on the South Island. I did not go into any dedicated quilt shops, but did enjoy a trip to Spotlight in Dunedin and a lovely fabric store there too. I do not remember the name of the fabric store.

Fabric tends to be quite $$$, as it all has to be imported great distances.

You could ask Gourmet Quilter https://www.gourmetquilter.com/ for recommendations.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Oh wow! What fun, there is a lot of quilting in that part of the world. Before you go you might look at your local quilt shop to see if they have any of the down under magazines and that might give you some ideas.

Report back!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:44 AM

I got some great native New Zealand print Fabrics there. Sorry I don’t remember where, but saw fabrics in several small town shops. Have fun looking around. I made placemats and pillowcases from it—-great memories of that trip.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:37 PM

We visited NZ several years ago and i managed to find fabric stores in several towns. I bought pieces of fabric that had NZ inspired prints, some lovely ones with Maori fiber mat patterns. Their yardage is pricey and remember they cut by the meter not by the yard.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:23 PM
Gay

Yes, LCSs here can be very expensive with some fabrics around $32py. If in Brisbane there are two East Coast Fabrics - in Springwood and Strathpine - that has good pricing, and Spotlight stores everywhere have lots. Craft Depot 2 Railway St Pennant Hills and Logans Patchwork 111 Moore Street. Leichhardt in Sydney
Old 09-02-2019, 11:34 PM

In Melbourne, eastern suburbs:
"Sewn and Quilted" (suburb...Blackburn) *small shop
"Patchwork with Gail B" (suburb.....Bayswater) *large shop with an extensive range of fabrics
"The Quilt Shop" (suburb...Eltham) * smallish shop, limited range
"Palm Beach Quilting" (suburb...Carrum Downs) *Not in eastern suburbs
"Claires Fabrics" (suburb...Warrandyte) *this shop is situated in a lovely garden/plant nursery which also has a good gift shop and a very nice cafe which serves lunches as well as coffees and snacks. A nice outing for an afternoon.

Fabrics are quite expensive over here at LQS. A bit cheaper at the big Spotlight stores but you have to be careful with the quality.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 09-02-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Thank you for the ideas. I went to 20 years ago before I was a quilting and I am looking forward to the trip and I am exciting to see the changes and the new places on this trip.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM

Ruby2shoes I wish I was going to Melbourne. It was my favorite city when I went with my Mom. Had I only been a quilter then. Sounds like great shops.