Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Voyager LA ruler foot? >

Voyager LA ruler foot?

Voyager LA ruler foot?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Voyager LA ruler foot?

Do any of you that have the Voyager 17 long arm also have a presser foot for ruler work??

I see two (at least) on the market. One is offered by Hinterberg but it looks like it doesn't hop. The other is offered by Finishing Touches Quilting Studio and it does hop (looks like a regular Voyager foot mechanism with a modified foot).

Do any of you have either of these feet ... and do you like them?

If you have the Hinterberg foot ... does it hop and if not, is that cumbersome or better when working with rulers??
Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I saw somewhere ( might be freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot) a link to someone who had modified a regular FMQ foot by glue/ welding a metal circle on top for ruler work. Might be an option if you can't find one.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 AM

I have the Voyager 17, and I prefer not to use a hopping foot, for ruler work or otherwise. I find the hopping foot distracting. I would think you wouldn't use a hopping foot for ruler work anyway. You want the foot to be static to follow along the ruler. If it hops, you have the good chance hit will hop right up on top of the ruler - breaking the needle, ruining the timing, and possibly resuilting in needing maintenance on the machine. The foot that does come with it will convert into a hopping foot - there are instructions on the web for it, although I don't know where they are since I don't hop. There's a little metal thingy at the top of the foot that can be adjusted to lay on top of the bar that comes down for your needle (having a brain fart-can't remember what that's called LOL!) Good luck in finding what you need!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:21 AM

Thanks Cindi!! Exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I do not have the Voyager, but have purchased a foot for a Viking 18X8 and ruler base from Finishing Touch and there products are really nice.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I have a Voyager that came with both the standard foot and the Hinterberg foot. I have used only the standard foot so far, but want to start doing ruler work this winter. From what I have read on the net, the Hinterberg foot is not great and does not hop. The posts I have seen from those who do ruler work with the Voyager have all indicated that the Finishing Touches hopping foot is great; they leave it on all the time. So, I bought the FT foot but have not installed it yet. There is a Youtube video that shows how to install it. Depending on your machine, you may need to retime, which is one reason I haven't rushed to put the new foot on.

If you haven't yet done so, you may want to join the Voyager/Hinty yahoo group and ask there. You need to set up a Yahoo ID, but it's all free. Go to http://www.groups.yahoo.com and search for the name HinterbergQuilters.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM

Thanks Prism. I've seen the video on FT site and then I went to the Hinty site to compare prices and that was when I noticed that the Hinty foot didn't hop (or at least looked like it didn't).

I may join the Hinty group on Yahoo ... but as a general rule I don't like the way yahoo groups work. I belong to 3 now and I never read them!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Definitely purchase finishing touches foot. You won't regret it. You need a hopping foot to go over thick seams and to do ruler work.