Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking Foot HELP! >

Walking Foot HELP!

Walking Foot HELP!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Default Walking Foot HELP!

I have a 1530 Bernina, bought it new in the mid 90's. I also purchased the walking foot at the same time, Bernina series 1000.
I never used the WF, guess I was intimidated by it. I used it for the first time yesterday, following the directions on how to install it. Double checked to make sure I put it on right.
My problem is that unless I pull the material from the back, I get teeny tiny stitches. I decreased the thread tension, increased the stitch length as high as it will go -- no improvement.
I am trying to quilt a small quilt. The top is cotton, 1 layer of flannel, the backing is Minky. Is the Minky the problem?
If it is, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 AM

I don't have a Bernina and don't have any quick answers, but if you suspect the Minky is the problem, then try a more conventional quilt sandwich and see if the stitch length improves.

A few times I have had a similar problem, and the cause was that the walking foot was not receiving any power from the needle bar. In my case, the walking foot's forked arm that transfers power from the needle bar to the walking foot was not engaged. In the case of my old Singer, the forked arm was not above and under the needle screw. I imagine that setup is different with the Bernina.

Dayle
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

I too have a Bernina 1530 and have used my walking foot many times. I think it may be the Minky. I haven't tried it myself but it is stretchy that your lower presser foot or the walking foot may be having trouble moving the thick fabric. I would try making a small practice quilt out of two pieces of scrap fabric with batting stuck in the middle. I always test run the machine to make sure everything is correct before starting on an actual quilt. I have even read on how some of the long arm quilters are having problems with Minky. If it is the Minky, you might just want to do like a tied quilt using your zig zag stitch set at 0. Good Luck !!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Also be sure your feed dogs are up.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM

I have used my Bernina walking for for years, and I sometimes still get installed wrong! The fork has to be around the needle bar screw. Are you sure yours is? I have trouble believing it is the minkee; I've used mine on minke without a problem.
ppam
Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I too have a Bernina 1530 and have used my walking foot many times. I think it may be the Minky. I haven't tried it myself but it is stretchy that your lower presser foot or the walking foot may be having trouble moving the thick fabric. I would try making a small practice quilt out of two pieces of scrap fabric with batting stuck in the middle. I always test run the machine to make sure everything is correct before starting on an actual quilt. I have even read on how some of the long arm quilters are having problems with Minky. If it is the Minky, you might just want to do like a tied quilt using your zig zag stitch set at 0. Good Luck !!
I did a practice piece, that's how I found out about the problem.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I have used my Bernina walking for for years, and I sometimes still get installed wrong! The fork has to be around the needle bar screw. Are you sure yours is? I have trouble believing it is the minkee; I've used mine on minke without a problem.
ppam
Yes, the fork is arond the needle screw bar, I checked that twice.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

The arm that moves up and down has to go on the needle bar or it will not feed the fabric. It is a little tricky t o get the foot on and the arm on the needle bar but I would be lying if I said I've never forgotten to do it. I keep increasing my stitch length and wondering, WHAT THE HECK and then I realize the little arm is not on the needle bar.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 PM

That was going to be my suggestion - check that the arm is on top of the needle bar.