Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking foot

Can't beat it for keeping the layers sewing straight.

I also use my walking foot when attaching bindings and borders, I love mine, wouldn't be without it.

I would make sure to get the right walking foot for your machine. Get it from your make's dealer. When I first started quilting I didn't have one and the layered material didn't feed right so had all kinds of wrinkles. When using a walking foot it worked like a dream! I would not be without one.

I've got the walking foot but what stitch length am I supposed to be using? My stitches are really close together. Am I doing something wrong? I just started using it this past weekend. :?:

Sorry to hear that because I have 3 for my various machines in different locations and they work great. You must have received a defective foot. Take it back!!They work great a layers of denim as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennycola
    I've got the walking foot but what stitch length am I supposed to be using? My stitches are really close together. Am I doing something wrong? I just started using it this past weekend. :?:
    I tend to use a 3.0 length on my machine, but you should do some trials with scraps to see what you think looks best.

I will never machine quilt without my walking foot. It also works well for piecing difficult fabric like Minkee. It keeps all the fabric layers sliding along evenly, no puckers or bunches to deal with, ever.
    Try it, I think you will be amazed. Perhaps your sewing machine store will let you try it, and return it if you don't like it. I doubt you will return it!

J.

I use it mostly for making chenille love it.

The walking foot was the best purchase I ever made. I have a Pfaff Varimatic 6085, yeah I know it's old. Absolutely love the walking foot. It is a tad tricky putting it on, but I bought a screwdriver from Clotilde, short stubby thing and it works wonders for attaching the foot. I tried something the other day without the foot and had to take out the seams because it shifted. Won't make that mistake again.

I use it mostly for making chenille love it. Also was about 90$ few years ago, is so easy to put on.

Blog Entries
    I love mine. I've found I use it for more than I originally bought it for. I wouldn't have been able to do my Bow Tuck Tote without it, as well as my denim rag quilt.

I LOVE my walking foot. My first machine when I started quilting didn't have one. Once I got one for my second Bernina, I can't imagine life without it. I'm still a novice quilter (can't FMQ yet), so it's vital that I be able to do straight line quilting on my machine. (use it for the binding, too)

Blog Entries
    LOVE MINE!!!

Blog Entries
    LOVE MINE!!! I piece with mine. It's a generic that I paid $24.95 for over 10 years ago to use on my little Kenmore. Works on my Brother and my old Singer.

So - out of everyone who's answered we have 2 that don't like a walking foot???

they work great for putting a binding on !!

Too bad Bernina attachments are not interchangeable. I paid $40. for a walking foot for my Bernina 1031 approx 20 yrs ago and that took my breath away. 10 yrs ago I paid $95. for a walking foot for my Bernina 180. That said, I would scrub floors if necessary in order to get the money to purchase a walking foot. That is how essential I find one.

I like mine, I have a Janome. I use it for attaching the binding, works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vschieve
    Jennifer,
    That sounds like a cold hearted LQS and for now on would take my business elsewhere. I can't believe the lack of support here.

I have a Pfaff that has built in IDT, (Integrated Dual Feed) right there on the machine so it doesn't need a walking foot, but my older Pfaffs do require one. I bought the WF for the older Pfaff two years ago from a Pfaff dealer in Wisconsin. I talked to him and ordered it over the phone and he told me that many of them are plastic but the one he has for my Pfaff 262 was ALL metal. I had to raise the thread cutter on the back of the pressure bar before I could put the WF on but it works like a charm. I love it. You might give him a call to see if he has one for your particular make or go to his website and email him.

Accurate Sewing Center
    14636 W. National Ave.
    New Berlin, WI 53151
    www.accusew.com
    [email protected]
    (262) 782-2225

Vernell in Austin

Thanks so much for the info. I'll give the website a browse and probably call. Appreciate the info.

DJ
    I got one for DD's sewing machine. She said it was the wrong one and wouldn't work, so when I visited her, I showed her how to put it on. Now she won't sew without it!

Thanks so much everyone...I'm going to town tomorrow morning so I will stop by my LQS to pick one up.
    Again thank you ALL.

Can't live without it...do my straight line, stitch in ditch with it...

gotta have a walking foot ... if you plan on quilting front/batt/back so that there are no puckers, no undo shifting - stretching - pulling.

you can even use it to piece with if you don't want to remove it and put back on all the time

Frustrating just barely describes my experiences with my Brother and a walking foot!!!! I'm glad you've had good luck with your Brother and the W. foot. I think I'll throw my machine in the truck and head for the nearest machine sales/repair shop

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B
    You do not use your walking foot for FMQ. You use a darning/ free motion foot to FMQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Julie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Fantastic-it is made to go over the thick quilt sandwich-the feel dogs and walking foot working together so the fabric won't pull. It is great for SID and gentle curves-not for FMQ. If you plan to do much machine quilting, it is a must!
    What do you use for FMQ? I thought that you would have to have the walking foot to do the FMQ as well.
    Thank you for the response. I haven't used a walking foot or done any fm's. Look forward to it though.

I love my walking foot, use it all the time. You do need to know what type of shank you have on your machine, wether it be high,low or slant. If you got your machine from a dealer, they should have a walking foot to fit. Check your instruction book to find the type of shank.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast