Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart fabric

Blog Entries
    I was just at my local Walmart and went to the fabric dept, haven't been in a while. Guess what they have mini bolts of 3 yards 19.97 & lots of fat q's. A few were even nice quality. Wonder if this means we will eventually get real fabric back

Never seen a mini bold. How cool, are they nice fabrics? The fat quarters actually dropped in price here at our store.

Banned
    Our store has never discontinued but the fabric that was $3.99 and $4.99 a year ago is now $6.49 and 6.99. I have kinda stuck with LQS except for backing fabrics. It's much better quality for $8.99 and $9.99 and I help support the little guy.

I was just at ours today. They had a section called "quilt fabric" that was very nice for $4.49 a yard. Some of the other fabrics were less expensive, but not as good a quality. They are just moving the fabrics and stuff back in this week.

I hope the walmart closest to me get it back... they had a bin of bolts of 2 yards/ $5.00 last week... but a variety of content from polyester to knit.... little to no cotton.

That seems kinda high for WM. Joanns carries these for $12.00 reg. price. They are on sale right now for $9.74. I have used them before with no problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    That seems kinda high for WM. Joanns carries these for $12.00 reg. price. They are on sale right now for $9.74. I have used them before with no problem.
    I think that's cheap. I'm in Canada & it's marked yards not meters as it should be. So I'm thinking it's old stock from US stores that are getting real bolts of fabric.

I have found WM to have nicer fabrics in the last few months. There was a National announcement just today that they are going back to Fabrics. The bigbox stores pushed all the Mom and Pop fabric stores out of my area so we never lost the bolts of bfabric but we are rural.

Blog Entries
    The FQ's and packaged yardage at my Walmart is mostly made by Cranston Village. Good quality fabric.

Just got my weekly Walmart flyer in the mail today.
    It says fabrics are back, we now have fabrics in over 2,000 stores. New, expanded assortment.
    It shows a picture of row of fabrics and has a couple of sewing machines on sale.
    This is the first time Ive seen a flyer with just sewing and crafts.

My local WM opened about 2 years ago and never did carry fabrics so I don't think we'll be getting a fabric department. However, the store 12 miles from my house that did have fabrics now is reopening their department. It doesn't have near as many fabrics as they did, but there seems to be a decent selection.

Also, perhaps everyone but me knew this, but a friend just told me recently that WM fabric can be ordered online, then sent via their Site to Store, so even though there is tax, there is no shipping.

Our Walmart got fabric back (dept not full yet but growing) I bought some that seemed nice for a quilt, washed it and am so disappointed in the quality after washing, very flimsy, it was not like that before washing. Must be full of "filler/stablilizer" that washes out.

Some of the fabric quality is on the rough side and not good for quilting, but I you look some of the fabric is very nice. Same quality and feel as we have been getting at JoAnnes around here lately. It is much cheaper to. I even recognize some of the names. It is a matter of picking and choosing. Probably like everywhere but the LQS who sell high quality fabrics.

WM does have some great material I think as well. U just have to look at it and check it out. Seems like it is mostly at our Super WM though.

Was just at my WM and the fabric section has shrunk -- just precuts with no price reduction. Fewer quilt tools, bummer.

Our Walmart has fabric on bolts back. Not a very big selection. They have one section of $l.50yd.I think you're
    getting what you pay for in that section. They had some
    muslin at $4.89 per yd...and I didn't think it was good
    quality. You might be able to use it for backing, but I don't think I would want it n the quilt top. Just be sure
    you feel of it before you buy. If you are a quilter, it's
    easy to tell if it's good quality or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    our just got a small fabric dept. put back in. The fabric is AWEFUL...especially at those prices...not worth $2.00!

Ours has cheap looking and feeling fabrics, very rough feeling, and the stuff on the table is material for sheer curtains, etc., no cottons at all. The prices for the fabric are as high as in a LQS. I wonder what they look like, after being washed, very disappointing.

Blog Entries
    There is a Super WM here and I have not seen much difference in the fabrics. They have FQ's and some little mini bolts but not much at all. It would be nice if they did get more fabric back.

Our WM does not have fabric but it did get in quilting tools and that was great, they were at a good price but I sure they would get in fabric.

Last week saw the one of the managers of our local WM superstore, which discontinued fabric dept. several years ago-because women don;t sew anymore-that was their reason!!! Anyway, asked her if fab was coming back, she hesitated and then said...maybe bulk fabric, I guess like the small bolts talked about here..but not to quote her.....Pitiful, in my estimation..this WM is located in a rather rural area and women do sew here!!!! Now the closest WM that has a full fab dept is 23 miles away, and yes I make the trek there for fab and do my "other" shopping there too (with a cooler in the back of car for perishables). No action at our local superstore though...

We got our fabric dept. back at one close store, the other close store removed all sewing notions completly. I don't consider myself a fabric snob and have always shopped at walmarts and Joanns with an eye (should say feel) for the better stuff. But I've got to tell you I did buy a yard of some fabric that felt good, stretched right etc. I washed it......I held it up to the light....I think I could have read my neighor across the streets address through it. Whatever they coated it with was washed out and the hand of the fabric was completly different ....on another note...one compelling reason to wash all fabric before you sew (IMHO)

I agree with you. I was shocked at the prices of our Walmart even for muslin. I will stick with our LQS because for just a couple more dollars per yard, you get a much better quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhillslady
    Our store has never discontinued but the fabric that was $3.99 and $4.99 a year ago is now $6.49 and 6.99. I have kinda stuck with LQS except for backing fabrics. It's much better quality for $8.99 and $9.99 and I help support the little guy.

if our walmart doesent get going on the fabric department, im going to have to move!

our wal mart finally has bolts of fabric the only problem is that when I'm in there after work on a Friday night there is NO ONE to cut fabric, I would cut it myself but I don't know how to use the scanner. It's a pain having to find someone to page and then wait for the other person to come cut. They have some nice fabric and the price range is $3.47-$5.97

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast