Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition >

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 AM

My LQS gives 15 percent off just for telling her the name of the quilt guild a shopper belongs to. Her prices are a little over $9/yd now but this helps a lot. It is also on other things besides fabric. It is a small shop only in existence 1 1/2 yrs. She is very accommodating on anything I am trying to do. She also is very progressive in her ideas for the future of her shop.
Sometimes I do buy online if I can't get it in her shop or she can't get it for me (which is rare).
I have bought online when something was an extremely good buy, but generally I stick with my LQS and she truly appreciates her customers.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM

I don't like how ours is laid out either, and they got rid of alot of items that I used to buy there. However they still do have a fabric dept, smaller then it used to be, but a fabric dept, just the same. They still have alot of customers in the fabric dept too. Last time I was there, they had a big bin full of fabric bolts, I think 5 yds and they were $5.00 per bolt. All sorts of different fabrics, and so crowded I barely got an elbow in there.
I did go into the fabrics and checked and they had some nice fabric.
I bought some, but, had to wait as there was only 1 woman cutting, and she seemed to be doing very well. The only problem was the wait, but, I did not mind, better then getting someone inept to measure.
I also signed the petition.
I did also notice that they got rid of the wedding stuff, it was not selling, and they have one row of scrapbook stuff, but, it is not single stuff it is in packets. Does not seem to be selling either.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 AM

Our WM's here did away with their fabric dept a year or more ago when they remodeled. All they have now are a few fats (mostly ugly, that look like rejects from Joanns) & some precuts but few choices there
Some GOOD news - I've been told we're getting several Joann SUPERSTORES in the Houston area soon :)
Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 AM

I signed it and it said accepted. Hope it helps it my only option as well.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 AM

I am surprised at the prices some of you have found at WM, as I co not recall any such lower markings when we had fabric in WM in Colorado. Have you noticed how difficult, sometimes, to find items we used to get in "dime stores" and "drug stores" or "variety stores." Cloth men's handkerchiefs, real tea/dish towel fabric, fine chochet cotton thread, basic lotions and creams, toilet soaps. No starch, except sizing kind in a spray can.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 AM
PEP

The Calcutta, Ohio, Wal*Mart now sells pre-cut fabric on small cardboard bolts. But it still is not the same as their original full-service fabric dept.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM

Walmart closed the fabric section of their store located where I live in Broken Arrow, OK last year and I was so disappointed. Guess they didn't want to have to pay someone to cut fabrics. Guess they also don't realize the other shopping customers do when they just stop in for one thing and come out with other unplanned purchases.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM

I signed it.
I work at a LQS and still buy at Walmart. But mine discontinued their fabric Dept. :cry:
Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Darn -- Guess I signed the petition the first time around and it wouldn't accept me petitioning again!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Have already signed this once along time ago. They have already made up their minds to take away fabrics etc and there is no changing. Just like Joann's and the rest. They don't seem to care what the customers think. The bottom line is what makes the money for them and the bonus they get. Sad story for all of us.