Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Sticker Shock >

Walmart Sticker Shock

Walmart Sticker Shock

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 PM

My policy...If you can see through it, don't buy it. You money isn't well spent if the fabric is poor quality.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Default WalMart Fabric

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Well, I'm very glad that they've brought back the fabric, but last night I experienced sticker shock - most fabrics were just under $8/yard! Maybe they think they've turned into an LQS? Sorry, Walmart. Not at those prices.
I just went from Spring Hill, TN to Taylorville, Illinois via Paducah, Ky. What a great difference in WalMarts. Columbia, TN WalMart doesn't have fabric, just some meager prepackaged ones. Paducah has items I haven't seen at other WalMarts. Wow, do they ever have the stuff. I always buy something there. Then I get to Taylorville and they have pretty good fabric, similar to $5.99 at JoAnns for $3.00 and $4.00. Of course I had to buy more. Have heard that the Taylorville, IL store is going to lose its fabrics. As a stockholder I am irate toward the decision maker in Benton, Arkansas. Why don't they listen to us. Yes, it is a nightmare getting service. I have to track down a clerk. Today in Taylorville, a nice lady from maintenance cut my fabric. You never know who'll come and when. Paducah has clerks stocking fabric so I was lucky there. Wake up WalMart.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 AM

I was just at our local walmart bought my granddaughter a little Brother to learn to sew on, their material was still starting at 5.49 wish I had more time in there to look around, have never been dissapointed in my purchases
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 AM

I usually buy muslin from Hobby Lobby which is 20 miles away. None of our nearby Walmarts have fabric and Joann's near our Hobby Lobby is expensive. I was in a little town near Mobile, AL a while ago that had a newly opened Hancock's. I bought a lot there. Several large tables of $1 and $2 fabrics suitable for quilting, so I splurged a bit.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I personally think our walmart carries cheaper fabric, so cheap I am not interested.
I feel the same about WM fabric.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:06 PM

Our WM never did lose its fabric dept when it was remodeled, but the area was smaller and cluttered...had a lot of $2/yd fabric on a long table. Others on bolts @ $3 - $5/yd. Recently they have been organizing the area better and it's bigger. They have a lot more fabric on bolts and it seems to be good quality. No, not LQS fabric, but better than it had been.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM

My Walmart which we have 2 of them both have pretty large sewing depts. They include everything from thread to yarn to sewing machines. Lately they have been clearancing the 4.97 fabric for $1.50. Good deal!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:25 PM

I wrote awhile back on this thread that our new super WM had a pitiful selection of fabric and crafts. Well, I was in there yesterday and the fabric dept manager told me they are expanding the department, and bringing back the embroidery dept. I knew they had been getting in LOTS of bolts of fabric lately - so much they have no where to put it. She said the back room is full of fabric now. I don't know why they are doing this, but I'm happy about it. Not all their fabric is good quality, but I know how to pick and choose.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Artsy, which Walmart in GB were you at? East, west, DePere? I live very close to GB, if you come often maybe we can meet at a LQS?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 AM

IMHO if the fabric is so thin that you can see through it is simply not worth buying not even at 25 cents a yard. Walmart has plenty of that at various prices.

I was in our local Walmart yesterday and somehow got rerouted in that store because they change alot of things around from last time I was in there. The sewing department seemed to have the biggest change. Nothing in that department is as it was before. They took out there cutting table and left them with one less than half the size of what they had before. They added about 24 ft of extra fabric space which now starts at $2 a yard (which I have never seen in that store before) up to $8.98 a yard and some of the fleece as high as $9.98 to $11.98 a yard. Wasn't much in the way of fat quarters or 2 yard cuts like they had before. The sewing machine area is half the size it use to be with very few machine models on it. I did not see as much space for accessories like scissors and such things as they use to have.

The workers are teed off as are customers and the lesser quailty of the fabric and the higher prices so I fear folks will do as many of us already do and that is to drive to a neighboring town to the LQS when you can buy off the sale tables from $2.98 to $3.98 a yard better quality fabric and regular shelfing fabrics from $5.95 to $9.98 a yard. They also will visit that towns Walmart and find better quality fabrics than at ours for a better price.

No way will I ever buy any fabric from anywhere that I can see through it no matter what color or print it is and our Walmart has alot of it like I said from $2 to $5.95 a yard and anything over $5.95 a yard which is up to $9.98 a yard a bit better quality but not worth buying at those prices when I can go to the LQS in a neighboring town which takes only about 20-25 minutes to get to and get a better quality for lesser money at times.