Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WalMart's Decison to Discontinue Carrying Fabric >

WalMart's Decison to Discontinue Carrying Fabric

WalMart's Decison to Discontinue Carrying Fabric

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM

Last night I sat across from a student from Germany who is spending a year in the US interning. As we chatted, I asked him if they had WalMarts in Germany. His answer really surprised me! He said they used to, but that they went bankrupt! He said I guess Germans shop differently than Americans:-) I don't know, but I've never heard of a WalMart store going bankrupt! I do not wish them any ill will. I know that they do a lot of good. But I don't think they realized how their decision to phase out fabric departments would adversely affect quilts for charity purposes. I would love to see them turn this into Lemonade. They could do a big advertising campaign saying how they have joined ranks with quilters across the United States by providing quality, affordable fabric to make quilts for charities. They could even list some of the charities. I don't think they realize what a huge difference this would make to their image as a company. I would love to see this be a win/win situation for all concerned.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 AM

I think you are right. In some stores they will offer cut fabric in the form of fat quarters and panels. However what most of us need for charity quilts would be sold by the yard, especially for quilt backings. I think you are right in their wanting to eliminate someone to be available to cut the fabric. But then that provides someone a job too! That certainly benefits the community!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 AM

If Walmart in Rapid City, closes their fabric dept. I won't do any shopping there for anything. There are plenty of other stores that will take my money gladly.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Yes. Sadly I have noticed this too. The fabric department is growing smaller as they give more of their space to other crafts. With home economics no longer being taught in the schools, most girls do not have exposure to the world of sewing. If there was a way to give them that exposure I think it would bring in a whole new generation of sewing and quilting enthusiasts. Years ago I started a sewing group at my church. My greatest joy is to see the excitement young women have when they sit behind a sewing machine for the first time and sew. We usually start them off doing strip piecing. At first they are intimidated, but after sewing a few strips, they begin to get it! Over and over I hear "Its too much fun!" "I never knew sewing could be this much fun!" I tell them, "That is why we do it!:-)"
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 AM

You motivated me to send a kind but firm e-mail to Walmart. Unfortunately I thought that I was sending it corporate HQ but at the end it directed my message to my local WM. At least I feel like I have done something.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
e4

I am always fascinated by this topic and see many threads on this issue on this board. My spouse has been a manager of 2 different Walmart stores and they are NOT "all about the community" - that is marketing hype.

Walmart has done an excellent job of marketing, even down to giving titles to their employees. For example, "greeters" are not there to say hello as the title would make you think - they are supposed to be there to 1) make sure carts are ready for you to take in the store so you buy more and 2) to make sure you don't walk out without paying. Yes, the nice greeter actually is a marketing and security person.

Stores have little say on what merchandise they get - that is dictated by corporate offices in Bentonville. when our local store ran out of popcorn poppers in January they were told they couldn't get more because corporate Walmart says they are a seasonal gift item. Walmart is constantly changing what comes into the stores from year to year and customers complain all the time about not being able to find something they used to get at Walmart. Even complaints by the manager to corporate get nowhere.

Getting rid of bolt fabric is about staff time and space. Walmart's biggest flexible expense is employee salaries so not having to have someone cut fabric is a real cost savings. Walmart also is starting to downsize its new supercenters by 20-40,000 sq feet, which will leave little room for bolt fabric that isn't high dollar/high profit.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks Gramma Nan. You have made my day! We can each do what we can to make a difference. Hopefully someone at WalMart headquarters will hear us. I appreciate you taking time to contact them again.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM

I've discovered that when I buy fabrics at Walmart, then I do a little more shopping there.

With no fabrics, there is no reason to even go there for me, so if no fabrics, no more money from ME. There are far too many other places to get "things" that are made in America and not in China.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM

I know that this is true. My brother-in-law was manager for Sam's for many years before he retired. I have a sister-in-law who works as a greeter at Walmart (and she sews!) and a brother-in-law who works in the gardening department. They have shared similar stories. This is why I directed my letter to the corporate headquarters rather than the local stores. I only hope that they care about keeping a strong image as far as serving the community. Their actions have significantly impacted the lives of thousands of women living in small towns as well as hindered our source for finding quality, affordable fabric to make quilts for hundreds of charities.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 AM

i did that and got a form letter tell me about the "celebration department" - like we don't already have celebration departments for christmas/easter/halloween/etc, etc, etc. - i'd even be glad for fat quarters & notions b/c i mostly applique.