Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want opinions of Red Snappers for your long arm >

Want opinions of Red Snappers for your long arm

Want opinions of Red Snappers for your long arm

Old 03-02-2016, 05:36 AM

I bought Leader Grips, much cheaper than Red Snappers, then bought 3/8" water line tubing, at someones suggestion, now have same system for about half or less the price of Red Snappers. I, too, have zippers on my leaders but still have to pin or baste backing to 2nd leader. What helps most in putting on the leader grips by myself is having short sections of the leader grip to hold the backing in place while I fit the long sections.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:32 AM

I have to chime in on the 'agree' side. I have been using Red Snappers for a couple of years. I would not go back to pinning! I will pin OCCASIONALLY if I need to reload a quilt that just needs a bit more quilting. But I grumble the whole time!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I still pin. I rarely stab myself and it takes me less than 30 minutes to pin backing and top (I don't float) as well as cut batting to size and place it. I did make the "poor man's" snapper system as described here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t234134.html

and found I was more accurate and quicker pinning. I felt like I needed a second set of hands when using the snapper type system and didn't like it at all. But I do realize I am in the minority.

My friend sewed velcro to her leaders and bastes the other half of it to the backing. She floats all her tops. She says she prefers the velcro a lot more over the Snapper system. I do have a snap system for the side tension and once broken in those work great. I used this company.
http://www.leadergrips.com/
I love the side ones.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:38 AM

I have them plus ordered more of the various sizes. I find for me as my frame has a deadbar, they have an issue going under the deadbar at the beginning if I have to start quilting at the top edge. So I still pin onto the take-up roller but use them on the belly bar for the backing only as I float my quilts.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I love my red snappers! Makes all the difference is time spent loading, unloading.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:42 PM

Love my Red Snappers!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Have em, use them all the time, love em. What more can be said? Wouldn't even consider putting a quilt on my frame without them.
agreed, me too!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I have them plus ordered more of the various sizes. I find for me as my frame has a deadbar, they have an issue going under the deadbar at the beginning if I have to start quilting at the top edge. So I still pin onto the take-up roller but use them on the belly bar for the backing only as I float my quilts.
what type of machine do you have? I guess I'm not sure what a deadbar is? Knew all of you would give me lots of feedback--thank you!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:41 PM

I have arthritis in my hands. The red snappers are so much quicker and easier to use. Friends did some bending of the top piece of the red snappers to increase the flexibility of them. I also use the 90 degree technique of putting them to snap together.
However, no matter what I did I could not use the side pieces of the red snappers. Went to a local hardward store and tried out various sizes of clamps til I found a quick release one I could actutally use. Made my own velcro straps to attach to the clamps, suing S hooks. I pin the sides of the quilt back to a "sider" piece that then has 2 paint stir sticks inside a pocket type hem. The clamps go onto the stir sticks, and the end of the velcro to the side of my LA table.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
I made my own. I used flexible water line which I screwed together with a threaded post. I sewed a channel in my leader to put that in. Then I use rope lighting pieces to snap the quilt onto the leader. It works great and cost under $20. I love it!
i made my own, too. Type in poor man's red snappers...hopefully this thread will come up with instructions and pictures. This was in late 2013. I like AngelaS's idea, too. I love mine and use them for all my quilts. I found it helps to have the snap on pieces in small sections.