Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wash fabric? >

wash fabric?

wash fabric?

Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 PM

Default wash fabric?

I just finished a very large top it turned out to be 130x 125, the person wanted a big quilt when on her bed it would go to the floor, more like a bed spread..

This is my question, I used jelly rolls and some yardage for the back ground on the quilt top. I did not wash any of the fabric for the top as I used jelly rolls and didn't think it would be a good idea to wash them.

I bought backing fabric from Jo Anns that was 108 wide so I just have to add one piece of fabric to the side to make it wide enough.The fabric was kind of a beige color with a white flower... After getting it home I noticed that the fabric felt really stiff, I am sure it has a lot of sizing in it. So do I wash it and if I do, will it be ok using a washed fabric for the back and fabric that has not been washed for the top..

Thanks
Old 10-31-2018, 10:26 PM
Power Poster

If it is stiff, it probably has a lot of sizing in it. If the piece you are adding is a similar light colour, I would attach it and wash the whole backing. If they are high contrast colours, wash separately before sewing them together.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:55 AM

If it were me, I would not prewash the backing, this would allow for more even shrinkage all around once everything is done. I’m sure you will get a wide variety of opinions on this matter, but at the end of the day it’s entirely up to you.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:29 AM

I would agree with Tartan's answer. Definitely use care if there are high contrasting colors, or bright ones, so they don't run. Look out for reds too because they can run terribly. Sadly I know from experience.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:47 AM

I definitely would pre-wash that backing because there has to be a lot of sizing in it to make it stiff. I think it would shrink a lot more than the front in future washing. If there is a question about color fastness, use a color catcher- or maybe a couple of them. Actually, the crinkling in a washed quilt has more to do with the batting shrinking than the fabric.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan.
Wow, that's one big quilt!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:54 AM

I was all fabrics except jelly rolls before I quilt it. I don't want nay surprises.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:21 AM

I would not wash it. But I like the shrink that occurs after quilting - because I like that crinkly look. I allow for this when planning out my quilt. Also, I prefer handling fabric for quilting that has not been washed (though not as much of a difference when you are talking about a big backing piece).

When I wash, I always throw in 2 to 3 Color Catchers (depending on the quilt size and colors used). I have tried pre-washing and not washing. This is just the preference I have come to after trying both methods. I know that as Tallchick said, you will receive different opinions on this.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:53 AM

I think I am with the pre-washing group on this one. I have had backing fabric shrink excessively and not just on the first wash. Why not split the difference and wash the backing piece in cold water and dry at medium instead of high heat.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:09 AM

I am a big believer in prewashing everything, so I don't buy jelly rolls. I had one bad experience from a quilt being ruined by an unset red and it reinforced the need/desire in me to prewash. To be completely honest, I did prewash the the maroon that ran but it wasn't enough to stop it. I should have (and now do) further tests before I use it. There's more to the story and a picture of the offending fabric in this thread:
Cutting the selvages off fabic

It is my experience that backs shrink quite a bit and/or are not what they are marked to be, in addition to usually being cut badly so I always buy half a yard more than I want. I wash on warm and dry on hot. Whenever drying fabric though, you want to get it at the moment it is mostly dried and not dried to a crisp or else it can be difficult to get out the dried in wrinkles. If you get it at the right moment it barely takes any ironing at all. A moment later and you and your spray bottle become best friends

Recently I bought a lot of fabric through Craig's list and some from the goodwill and have been doing a lot of prewashing. A whole lot... 30 pounds of fabric worth done, maybe another 20 pounds to go. I must be crazy. I really prefer just to throw in a couple of pieces in with my regular wash but I mostly work in scrap/charm quilts where I collect a lot of small pieces of fabric so it is important to me that when I go into my stash it is ready to be used.

The worst things to wash are narrow width of fabric, jelly rolls would be a nightmare. As it is a 1/4 yard cut WoF always sheds, snakes, and tangles with itself and anything else it can get a grip on even if I put it in a lingerie bag. Fat quarters seem to wash in with the regular stuff just fine. Smaller than that and they go into lingerie bags.

If I can avoid it, I don't like washing lengths of fabric over about 3 yards. Even if I am using more than that I can usually sub-cut into 2-3 pieces. Over the years I've found that long pieces of yardage iron out better if you do the selvedge ends first for about 6-8" on both side, then I go back through the width. I use the ironing board to help me fold the fabric into quarters along the length and then fold the pieces to fit in my boxes.