Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash your fabric?  Old subject seeking new answers - - >

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Wash your fabric? Old subject seeking new answers - -

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM

I am fairly new to quilting, but have sewn clothes for years. I was always taught to prewash. I purchased a quilt kit. The fabrics were from the Fossil fern. I decided not to prewash. The pattern has 6 applique squares. I had to remake one square 3 times. The square shrank a full 1/2 in when I heat set the applique. At first I thought I had made an error in cuttng square. All fabrics were from the same line and this is the only one that shrank. I hope I am not disappointed with what the fabric does after quilted and laundered.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 AM

I have done a complete 360. Always used to prewash. Then came another 10 years and stopped with the exception of dark navy and any shade of bright pink and all reds. I'm back to pre-washing most again, except for whites and pastels. Am absolutely amazed at the amount of dye that comes out, whether I've paid $2.97 or $14.00 a yard. Also, so much sizing that water in the basin bubbles as if detergent was applied. I'm retired so I have the time to pre-wash, then iron but it is an enormous pain in the butt.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM

Yes, I have changed into a pre-washer since having to deal with some pretty nasty bleeders and shrinkers. I faithfully use color catchers and have still had to throw some fabrics into the pile for dog beds.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 AM

I do not prewash just use color guard in the wash been happy so far
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 AM

I always wash, i do not want to expose myself or my family to all the bad chemicals that is in the fabric.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM

I test anything that I think will bleed by cutting a piece and swishing it around and setting it in soapy water for a while or overnight. If nothing happens, I am good to go. I do not have the time or patience to wrestle with washed fabric - trying to iron and straighten.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 AM

I rarely prewash - only when I suspect that a fabric may run. Usually bright primary colors. I recently had a dark bright green solid bleed so badly despite hot water, several washings, vinegar etc. that I had to throw it away - and it came from my LQS. And I do prewash flannels because I don't trust shrinkage. Nevertheless, I prefer to work on unwashed fabric. We all have our preferences and quirks.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 AM

I do not prewash and I never wash a quilt right after I make it! I love the crispness of a new quilt for as long as I can. I have only made a batik wall hanging the one in my avatar. If I ever make a whole quilt using batiks sadly I think I will have to prewash the fabric. What a chore that will be.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 AM

I learned the hard way I check "reds" and if there is any bleed at all, I prewash. Otherwise I like the crisp "feel" and handling ease of fabrics as they come off the bolt.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 AM

For me the determining factor is whether I want the quilt to shrink a little in the wash to get that old quilt look. If not, I prewash.