Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Quilts >

Washing Quilts

Washing Quilts

Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
After the quilt is finished, and it ready to be washed, do you wash yours in the washing machine? Do you use any kind of special laundry soap, or just use water (warm or cold)? Do you put it in the dryer or lay out flat somewhere? Then after all this is done, do you iron or press it? All your ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I have a Maytag front loading washer/dryer set so its super-gentle and large-capacity. I'd never ever put a quilt in a regular top-loader. I use Orvus soap and lukewarm water. I put it on super-gentle air-fluff in the dryer till the quilt is halfway dry, then lay it on a sheet and block it.
And I never iron a quilt.

If the quilt is a raggy, I ALWAYS take it to a laundromat ...and then I clean the mess out of their machines!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:43 AM

I do not prewash.

1. If you like the wrinkled up anique looking quilts as I do, don't prewash fabrics and use Warm and Natural batting.

2. Wash in hot water with dye catcher.

3. Dry in dryer on reg cycle.

This will shrink the fabric and give it that lovely old look that I particularly like.

So, it really depends on the look you want.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I forgot to "quote reply" - no prewash, color catcher, no dryer, mostly.

I do it this way too - except- sometimes I might put one in the dryer for a little bit. I can't even say why I do this, but, so far no problems. And so far with no prewashing haven't had any running or shrinking. I am guessing maybe one day I will be surprised!! Hope not.
What is a color catcher?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 AM

I prewash all my fabric and when a quilt needs to be washed I use shampoo I red this in a quilting book.I do not let the machine agitate but let it soak for 15 min and then send it into the rinse again let it soak 5 min and spin out I then place it on my clothes line lining side out. None of this was my idea but it certainly has preserved my king sized quilts. I do think that the agitation is hard on the fabric and quilting.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 AM

I do not wash anything bigger than a lap quilt in a regular washing machine. Before I got a front loader, I went to the laundromat and used the large, commercial washer because the action of the agitator in a top loader is very stressful for the seams. I also prefer to dry them in a dryer because unless you have room to lay it flat, the weight of the quilt will cause distortion and stress the seams.
The color catcher is a laundry product that looks like a dryer sheet, but you put it in the washer to catch the dye that runs. They are sold by the laundry detergent at our local grocery store.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by barb55
What is a color catcher?
http://www.shoutitout.com/preserve-colors.aspx
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

I don't pre-wash fabric, so will sometimes use a Color Catcher.
I take quilts to the local laundromat, wash in the largest machine they have, use whatever detergent I have with me, dry in their dryers on regular heat.
Never iron a quilt.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Originally Posted by barb55
What is a color catcher?
http://www.shoutitout.com/preserve-colors.aspx
Thank you
Barb
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 AM

I love the look of my quilts when they come from the wash and dryer. I keep a bottle of "baby laundry detergent" in my laundry area. I figure if it is gentle enough for a baby, it will be gentle enough for anyone. I have just washed two quilts for the second time in two days. Had a little bed wetter overnight. That's ok. He was worth the work!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Just did a heart breaking job. Had ordered six pieces of Bird Song GORGEOUS fabric. Our very sweet and helpful mail carrier had placed the shipping box FULL of fabric on a block near our garage, since it wouldn't fit my mail box. Had a huge storm, and didn't find it until the next morning. Every piece was totally soaked! I washed with color catchers, and just starched and ironed about 10/12 total yards of it. Two pieces still had running colors. So sad, but still can use most of it.