Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Watching out for Tender Feelings and yet Giving Advice >

Watching out for Tender Feelings and yet Giving Advice

Watching out for Tender Feelings and yet Giving Advice

Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I would just let it go and address it if they come to you for assistance again. If they ask your opinion, just say it looks great but the quilting should meet the batting requirements if they want their quilt to last.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I used to judge baked goods for 4H'ers. Some would be really awful, but I always concentrated on what was good about their product. For instance, for a dinner roll that was raw dough inside I would say "You did a beautiful job on judging the color that the rolls should be!" and for one that was burnt on the outside I would say "What a great job you did making sure that they were all the same size!"

I did once read an article on this topic. Apparently it's: Compliment - Critique - Compliment in that order.

You can use the same tactic here. "What a great job you did on choosing the colors! Did the batting manufacturer have information about how closely it should be quilted? I'd hate for it to get lumpy when you did such a great job on it."
Great answer!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't know, I think I'd stay out of it. they will live and learn.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM

Oh this is so hard and family is extra hard I did like ArtsyOne's suggestion. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
I mentioned to the mother of my GD that her quilt needing more to "hold it together" but she just made the statement, "It has enough."
well that says it all in my opinion...

live and learn, that's all what's left to do I guess. It is going to be a learning experience...

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
It looks nice, but I am concerned when it is washed, the batting will fall down inside.
and for you DDIL if you have not mentionned anything yet, I would say exactly what you wrote!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Oh my, thry,it tturned out so nice, your quilting is beautiful, is it the reccommended spacing. You should be proud of yourself for such a great compliment.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Compliment first, then ask what the manufacturers recommended for quilting, stating that different battings have different requirements and that you want her beautiful quilt to last forever.
Sounds good to me, saying nothing is not an option IMO I would go for because if they don't learn the right way now they will never learn to be a quilter.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Leave them be. As others have said, they will learn. They aren't ready to listen yet. So be it...I know you have wonderful intentions, but no way will you come out the winner on this.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Yeah, some people have to learn the hard way. Tough to say if you bought the fabric, but once they found out why, they learn to do it right next time. Tougher still will be NOT saying, "I told you so!" when it falls apart.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Your GD's mom sounds like she doesn't care about the quilt her DD made or she would listen to your suggestion so the quilt maybe won't be ruined by washing it. Your DDIL is an adult so let her learn on her own if she didn't ask for input on the quilting.