Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Water/ Iron

I have a Silver Star professional gravity feed iron but on the regular irons, I never have emptied the water after each use... I alway use distilled water.

After having to throw out 3 irons in less than 2 years because of leakage (one of them was Rowenta, it lasted the least time of them all), I gave up and went back to using my old General Electric dry iron that I've had for years and a mist bottle. It works great. I'm thankful I kept that iron, I thought about putting it in a garage sale a few times.

hmm. i too have the same iron and i don't empty it. but i DO NOT use distilled water. it says not to use.. so i buy a jub of water from the store and keep in my sewing room as we have well water that doesn't do well in irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    I do not empty mine never have but I do use distilled water.
    Me tooooo

Distilled water is filtered. When I was a kid we had one of those filters and filtered our own water. Our water was very limy.

Never, no time for that everytime I sew or iron clothes.

Banned
    Just a side note re the Oliso iron--I noticed that someone felt their Oliso doesn't get as hot as other irons--I've noticed that about my Oliso too. I love how the Oliso's little feet come out and save the wrist movement of standing the iron up and moving it out of the way constantly, but the not-hot-enough problem is bothersome.
    Also, a problem with the Oliso for me is that if I happen to be using another iron I forget and just leave that iron lying flat on my ironing board. Luckily my sewing student caught it when I did this recently, or I would have had big trouble!

Power Poster
    No I don't empty mine nor do I use distilled water. Shame on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzytish
    Hi
    I have a new oliso iron and in the manual it reads to empty the water from the iron when done.
    I have never done this before when I was emptying it DH asked what I was doing. Told him it says to do this.
    Do you empty the water from your iron after each quilting session?
    Does anyone out there know why you should do this?
    Water generally has some kind of sediment in it. It settles to the bottom and crud can build up. I empty my iron when I am done. All my irons. I also own an Oliso. I love mine.

We have really soft water so I've never bothered. It seems I use the iron too frequently anyway.

My B&D required tap water, and said to empty. I used tap, but never emptied. However, I did do a routine cleaning every now and then (3-4 months). It never sputtered or leaked...until the final time I dropped it :(

Love those B&D irons. They are real workhorses!

Debbie in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby
    My B&D required tap water, and said to empty. I used tap, but never emptied. However, I did do a routine cleaning every now and then (3-4 months). It never sputtered or leaked...until the final time I dropped it :(

Debbie in Austin
    That is what happened to my old iron. Same brand.

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby

Debbie in Austin
    That is what happened to my old iron. Same brand.

i have always dumped the water out of my iron when i am done with it. i guess i dont know why, that is what mom had us girls do all the time. i guess i never ask her why,

Blog Entries
    i leave the water in the iron- BUT my water is from the dehumidifier. saves the cost of distilled. My grandmother used her dehum.water for her iron and her houseplants. no deposits or anything. but i use a cheap iron !

Quote Originally Posted by raggedyann
    NEVER!!! oh my!!! but i do use bottled water--i figure the iron doesn't need all the flouride and other stuff from the tap! :)
    Bottled DRINKING water is fine to use. Read your instructions first before using distilled water in your iron. Some say DO NOT use distilled water.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3