Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Quilt

Blog Entries
    I have a small problem. My DN is getting married in June. I'm going to make her a quilt. Now here is the problem. Her favorite color is pink. I mean she loves pink. But he doses not. At first I was thinking a black and white quilt. But I do not have enough of each. So I was thinking of The Quilt in a Day Triple Irish Chain ; and the basic color white and the chain scrapy.

I have made a ton of wedding quilts these last couple of years. (my 3 daughters and a lot of their friends have all gotten married)
    I usually go to their registry and find the colors they have chosen for their home. A couple of them I asked their parents what their favorite colors were. So far, everyone has loved the quilts that I have made.
    My daughters have not gotten their quilts yet. Those will be queen size (I give large lab/twin quilts as gifts) and they are picking out the main fabrics and the pattern (with guidance)The first two have their picked out and fabrics set aside. I just need to enlarge both of the patterns because, of course, the patterns were not queen size (sigh)

kso
    How about pink, black and white?

Love the idea of pink, black and white.

Blog Entries
    Pink on one side and his favorite color on the other? :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    it doesn't have to be light pink. you could add a dark rose. all shades of "pink" she would probably love.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully they will both love whatever you decide!

My vote: Pinks and Browns

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Pink on one side and his favorite color on the other? :D:D:D
    I like this suggestion :)

your scrapy idea sounds good - it should go with any decor & I'm assuming that there will be a tad of pink included.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    it doesn't have to be light pink. you could add a dark rose. all shades of "pink" she would probably love.
    I agree- I'm a pink freak too, lots of nice shades.

Blog Entries
    Even a Mauve and Teal would be nice looking. With maybe a forest green binding.

I read your post earlier this evening. Then as I was looking in the pictures section just now, I came across this post...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85955-1.htm

Maybe something like this would work! It has pink in it, but it doesn't look too girly.

Triple Irish Chain, Is a great idea!
    I did a doudle for a friend many years ago with a yellow daisy fabric in the back ground with a peri winkle/ blue smaller daisy print with a white on white Love print Fabric.... Wish I took a pic.... anyway

The idea of a black and white is a great idea and adding thier favorite colors in a scrappy feel through the center chains? Using varying shades I believe you wont demasculate her groom to terribly <3 Keep us posted :)

QM
    A wedding quilt has to be matched to the people who will be getting it, IMHO. I think I would be inclined to use black, off white, pink and rose and either make a scrappy quilt or do a dramatic patern such as a single main star.

This is a minefield of a subject.

My son wanted a black and white quilt (he allowed minor red accents) I made 25 different star blocks. It was showy and could go with almost any decor, but she found it too heavy, visually. My younger son wanted something that represented ME, so he got various sizes of bear paws and delectible mountains. He was happier. My guess is that most people today think of quilts as a part of decor, rather than a centerpiece of the bedroom. This leads to quilts that are boring to make and boring to use. If you can't find common ground for them, do what you can but suit yourself.

I think that the front should be in colors he likes, but the back should have a print that would include a pink, and then bind the whole thing in pink. Try not to make it too loud in any color, as you dont want it to go out of style. Then, they both get what they want, and if you plan well, it could be reversable and they both can take turns.

I don't know too many blokes who would like to sleep under a pink quilt. Ask her what her compromise colour is, now that the two of them are deciding.

"So I was thinking of The Quilt in a Day Triple Irish Chain ; and the basic color white and the chain scrapy."
    I think this is a great idea, and it will go with so much.

I read it is a good idea to make a neutral one as newlyweds are often not in a home yet. So that's what I am doing this year for my son and fiancee. Wedding in Oct but have a good start, haha. Top more than half cut out.

I wonder if his favorite color would go well with pink? Nice to have both of them together on the front of the quilt.

My son's favorite color is maroon and his wife's is blue. For their wedding quilt I used mainly maroon and a deep blue plus some other colors in a Love Knot pattern and called it "Compromise." Good title and good advice for newlyweds!

My daughter-in-law loves pink also (she even had pink wedding shoes) but I made them a quilt to match the colors in their house which were black, red and cream.

Quote Originally Posted by laurlync
    I read your post earlier this evening. Then as I was looking in the pictures section just now, I came across this post...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85955-1.htm

Maybe something like this would work! It has pink in it, but it doesn't look too girly.
    I agree, it doesn't look too girlie. Actually, pink is my least favorite color, but I liked the one shown in the above link. Good luck with whatever you decide to do - I'm sure they'll both love it. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    ...I usually go to their registry and find the colors they have chosen for their home...
    Jim's Gem's advice sounds the best. In their registry they are surely going to have listed what their bedroom colors will be. That way you will know what colors the couple has already worked out for their home.

Your quilt will be a lovely wedding gift for them.

PS: you could always make a personalized lap quilt for her in her favorite pinks for her birthday, just because or for a wedding shower present!
    :-D

Pink and brown look great together. I made a ton of log cabin blocks in these colors and still need to put it together for my sister in law. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast