Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Ring block - I don't really want to do this! >

Wedding Ring block - I don't really want to do this!

Wedding Ring block - I don't really want to do this!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:15 AM

Arrow Wedding Ring block - I don't really want to do this!

My friendship group is meeting tomorrow and will be working on the Wedding Ring block. We have the Accuquilt die so cutting will be easy, but I'm concerned about doing it.

First - I had hand surgery about 7 weeks ago and my hand still hurts quite a bit, especially when I do small, tight movements (like typing!). I think this is going to be pretty difficult for me to do.

Second - I have so many projects going, I hate to start another one, especially a difficult one. I have a wedding quilt due by early June and some Linus quilts going, plus the big one for my son...and so on.

Third - I don't really know what fabric to use. I feel as though if I were going to make this I'd like to make at least a throw size, although we would probably only get one or two blocks done tomorrow.

On the other hand, I don't want to disappoint my friends. They like to all work on the same thing since we only get together once a month.

So, do I suck it up for 3 hours? I have plenty of fat quarters I could take. Or, do I take an easy project and blame it all on my hand? Please help me decide! Thank you!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 AM

If they are truly your friends they will understand. maybe take what you need for the planed project, and a back up project incase it is too difficult.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Your next to last sentence is your answer.
Let quilting and gatherings be fun.

Jan in VA
Old 02-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Quilting should be fun, not painful. Also, what does your doctor say? Should you really be doing these tight movements? You don't want to prolong the healing process. If your friends are truly your friends, they will understand.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I agree with PaperPrincess. Quilting is a HOBBY and it should be FUN. You can't have fun if you are in pain. They should understand. I would bring some fabric so that someone can cut for you so that if you change your mind, you won't regret it later.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM

I think you should go and enjoy the time you spend with your friends. Just tell them what your problem is and they will understand and be glad that you came anyhow. Sometimes we put undue expectations on ourselves. Don't rush the healing process by doing too much too fast. You will probably not finish all the things you mention, so prioritize what you'd like to finish.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Simple. Take some fabric and ask each friend to do sew parts of the block. Have them sign it and now you have a nice little trivet mat. This keeps your hand free from pain and lets you be part of the group and the fun.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:33 PM

Thanks for your suggestions! I will take fabric and get it cut - I like the idea of a "friendship trivet!" Then I can do some straight line quilting on one of my Linus quilts but mostly just chat and watch everyone to see how to sew the curves. I can always borrow the Accuquilt die later when my hand gets better. Such good friends you are!!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

You don't have to blame anything on your hand. Take what you can work on and simply explain you had surgery and can't do the other work at this time. Take time watching and learning from the girls and help them with things you can do. If they are friends they will surely understand. Enjoy being with the group and make no excuses for your healing hand. Have a good time. I bet they will even offer to cut out your qullt for you to piece at a time when you can do it.
peace
Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

In my small group it is ok not to do what everyone else is doing.