Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Ring Quilt - Before I Get Started - Any Advice? >

Wedding Ring Quilt - Before I Get Started - Any Advice?

Wedding Ring Quilt - Before I Get Started - Any Advice?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 AM

Did a DWR out of batiks with tone on tone beige for melons and centers. Suggestion...for the corners have the same four colors..otherwise gets to busy.

Sew slow and press the arcs as you finish them. Once you have two blocks done, you wont want to stop. Mine is a queen and just love it. DH loves it too!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Default DWR from Rings that Bind by Cheryl Phillips

I'm in the process of making a DWR for my DD and her future husband as a surprise wedding gift - utlizing the colors she has chosen for her wedding - purples, lavendars, creams, yellows, etc. The fabric I selected for the rings is border print so I cut strips of where the rings are to be cut out, then stacked them like "stack and whack" and cut them out so that certain strips appear on every ring. Before I cut anything, I starched the dickens out of the fabric so I didn't have to worry about too much stretching. Cutting out in this manner was very time-consuming. It took 39 hours JUST to cut everything out. The good thing about this method is that it is QAYG, so once I finish, I'm done! I can't wait until I have more of it done so that I can she how it actually looks.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

How about reversing the background and rings. A beautiful rich dark eggplant purple background and lighter rings that shade from light to dark.

May all be well for you through your ordeal.

You have a year, get going! This is another pattern that people are afraid of. I haven't made mine yet but I do like curved piecing. Not really that hard.

Does anyone know the site for the tutorial on making this without the curves. I thought I had it marked but no luck.

hat ever you choose, keep us updated.
peace
Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
I think I will practice on one first before I go destroying good fabric!
That is an excellent idea! I always wanted to do a DWR, and took a class using John Flynn's templates and method, and while I got 2 reasonable looking rings and made a table runner out of them, I realized a full size, or even lap size, quilt was NOT going to happen from the DWR design! Good to know before I cut up yards of fabric! Good luck!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 AM

I am in the process of collecting fabrics for this pattern. All reds though. Thanks for the photo, maybe I am right on track.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM

I am finishing up the appliqué border for my DWR which is done is very much the same colors as your photo. I used the same light and dark for the connecting points to give it some consistency. I used a white on white and that is ok if you are going to machine quilt. Hand quilting through that paint is impossible! Better to use a batik or mottled light.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Oh that sounds very interesting. Batiks with a very light batik backgroud. I would not use a solid color backgroud- I like designs.
Have you thought about making this a bounding experience with DIL and having both of you work on it? See would maybe like it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM

kay woods has a free video on you tube for the ties that bind wedding ring quilt, the end of the video she shows
two wedding quilts she made for her daughters...omg
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I found the tutorial I was looking for . It looks like an interesting way to do this pattern. It is Cheryl Phillips W/ Kay Wood.

The beginning is about pinning seams but then goes into the DWR instructions. Cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfifwcg8IJ4

Peace
Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 AM

I made a dwr and used cream for the background, I think it came out great. When sewing the curves be sure to pin to easy the fabric. Good Luck