Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird offer

Blog Entries
    run away!

Hi everyone. My son made a site relating to Craigslist. It is called www.flakelist.org. It tells of people that were added to his list as bad Craigslist listings. Everyone won't be on the list that is bad as it is only when someone is reported. But it doesn't hurt to see if they are on the list before buying anything. There are so many spammers out there that he made the list for a very good reason. So, give it a try next time you want to buy and see if they are there first.

if someone calls you or gives a real phone number to you, and is then willing to give you cash, you can make arrangements to see it or have it seen. try to sell locally or within driving distance. shipping can be a problem if breakage occurs.
    they should come with cash in hand and take it away. if it's a small something, meet them some other place, like a library. in a case like that, they don't even have to know where you live. if it's large or has to be plugged in, they must call for the address (get a feel for what they sound like) and make an appointment to see it. they have to bring cash and take it away. tell them before they come, they cannot come inside the house. borrow a large, loud dog. seriously. show the item in your driveway. they shouldn't know what else you have.

if someone is serious, it's a simple deal. once they start telling you a story about why they can't do this or have to do that, forget it.

Don't reply, block his email, everything you can do to not let him back on. I had my bank account wiped out due to these scams. I was selling my dinning room furniture. Police says no. spend to spoofcraigslist.com.
    Marg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Personally I think Craigs list is a joke and full of scammers. I've done Ebay for 10 years, buying and selling with no problems.
    I'll vouch for you Marsye. :) I bought some of your blocks before I found this forum. Great transaction, no problems. And I've had all good experiences with other Ebay purchases. Never tried Craigs List and after reading this thread probably never will.

Blog Entries
    Trust your gut feelings.

BE CAREFUL!. A car dealer in my town just got a fake money order for a RV that he had for sale in Cregs list.The money order looked real until he took it to the bank and they said it was fake. I also heard on the news this morning about a guy getting murder from Crags list. Just a friendly warning.

Craig's List is known to attract scams/scammers - be very wary.

Craigs List warns people to not trust anyone wanting to pay with money orders. Without a doubt - This is a scam.

Blog Entries
    I would rather have a money order then a check. What else is he suppose to send if not cash? If the money order isn't any good then keep the machines. If it is good then give him the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I would rather have a money order then a check. What else is he suppose to send if not cash? If the money order isn't any good then keep the machines. If it is good then give him the machines.
    What about a Travelers Check?

Blog Entries
    No no no! Scam offers like that are all over. Don't give out any personal information, especially your address, etc. There are all sorts of weirdos out there trying to get your personal information. Don't let anyone come to your house and look at them either unless you have someone there with you. i know I sound paranoid, but there are those who will prey on women who are home alone. Be careful, ok?

I wouldn't give them anything, my suggestion is stay clear!

When I get sick n tired of some of these free loaders trying to get my very personal info, well I give it to them,my home addy... is usually the police or a fire station addy, my SS number, I have put one together for them...my late husbands # scrambled up I can't buy windows or get roof repairs because I rent....{yes I do, l rent the space my mobile home is on} keeps things a lot safer for me

You know, there is the possibility that it is all legit. However, he may want them knowing that he can sell them for a lot more.
    I would email a time or two, and do like someone suggested, make sure his checks clear the bank and don't meet him at your house, and not alone.
    Let us know how it turns out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Personally I think Craigs list is a joke and full of scammers. I've done Ebay for 10 years, buying and selling with no problems.
    I'll vouch for you Marsye. :) I bought some of your blocks before I found this forum. Great transaction, no problems. And I've had all good experiences with other Ebay purchases. Never tried Craigs List and after reading this thread probably never will.
    Small world huh? Thank ya!!!! ;) Which ones did you buy? Post a picture on the board when you finish them. I would love to see them finished.

Blog Entries
    My granddaughter paid for her wedding dress on ebay through paypal and when she went back to check on delivery the seller had disappeared. She is now scrambling to find another dress in 7 wks. I hope she can find a way to get her money back.

DO NOT SEND HIM ANYTHING!!!! I am a retired police officer and advise you to just forget this guy. Same thing happened to me....It's a scam!

Be careful seen on the news where a couple advertised a diamond ring on Craigslist, they came to the couples house and killed the husband believe it was on the Today show this morning. Scary

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    We were scammed for the most part from there a while back. But then - a WONDERFUL man from up north came down, took the item, paid cash and said we could have gotten 3 times the amount we were asking! This was after a half a dozen guys said they really wanted it, but just couldn't make it to our area in the boonies - we finally got tired of all the crap and sold it to the man from up north. BE CAREFUL - people are out there just trying to make everyone miserable!!

That's not a scam, that's just you wanting it sold and gone. He paid your price, there's no deception in a perceived good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    My granddaughter paid for her wedding dress on ebay through paypal and when she went back to check on delivery the seller had disappeared. She is now scrambling to find another dress in 7 wks. I hope she can find a way to get her money back.
    Ebay and Pay Pal guarantee everything. If she files a claim, she should be able to get her money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    He even offered to send an extra $50.00 if I held them for him.
    DO NOT GO FOR THIS!!!!!!! I had this happen with a set of bunk beds I was selling & he was going to do the same thing of having someone pick them up, give me extra money because he was too busy to come & look at them. Red flags went up right away especially after noticing that all the e-mails he would return to me, even after I had just sent it, were always about three or four in the morning & I would answer his like at 8:00 at night. I played along for a little & he did send a check that looked legit drawn on a business. I asked the officer at school & she said it didn't sound right either. I brought the check to the bank to show them & tell them what was going on & when they looked up the account the check was written on it flashed SCAM! SCAM! They said if I would have cashed it it wouldn't have shown up as a bad check for a few days & I would have been stuck having to pay the bank back. Another thing that raised a red flag was the way he wrote the e-mails in very bad English. I am very cautious now to sell anything to anyone unless they are local & will come & see it in person.

We had a gentleman in our area that sold a 57 chevy to one of these people. They sent him a bank draft for the car and also extra for the person who was to pick up the car. When it was all said and done, the bank draft was bogus and he was out over $8000 the the cost of the bank draft that didn't clear and the car was gone!!! Don't reply.

I know I would stay away from that one. He is too weird.

ask for a post office check (or whatever they call them) and say out front that you want it to clear first. tell the post office to check it very carefully because you don't know the sender.

i wouldn't do it anyway. i would ignore it, since so many of us got exactly the same story.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast