Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Well I found out the hard way...Don't

Kitsie: To answer your question, Grandma cooked the starch in a pan on the stove. I use to have to help stir it too. I think it was called Napha and it felt like powdered sugar. When it was all smoothe and liquidy I would dip my Grandpa's blue & white striped hats in it, then stretch them over the bottom of a pan. They stayed there till they were dry and when you took them off the pan they stood up nice and tall on his head. I also had to dip his red hankerchiefs in it and hang them on the line. He wore these around his neck to keep hot coals from blowing down his shirt and burning him. He was a fireman on the Nickle Plate Railroad out of Illinois, way back when! Sorry, I got carried away with the memories, so back to quilting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    Kitsie: To answer your question, Grandma cooked the starch in a pan on the stove. I use to have to help stir it too. I think it was called Napha and it felt like powdered sugar. When it was all smoothe and liquidy I would dip my Grandpa's blue & white striped hats in it, then stretch them over the bottom of a pan. They stayed there till they were dry and when you took them off the pan they stood up nice and tall on his head. I also had to dip his red hankerchiefs in it and hang them on the line. He wore these around his neck to keep hot coals from blowing down his shirt and burning him. He was a fireman on the Nickle Plate Railroad out of Illinois, way back when! Sorry, I got carried away with the memories, so back to quilting!
    Oh, don't be sorry! That's exactly what I asked from you! What a wonderful memory! I hope you are recording such things somewhere! I have wonderful memories of my parents and Grandies and am always wanting to write them down but I never seem to, like my 9 yr old grandson funny expressions. Thank you!

I don't use basting spray. I'm asthmatic and cannot breathe when someone is using it. I use curved safety pins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I don't use basting spray. I'm asthmatic and cannot breathe when someone is using it. I use curved safety pins.
    Have you used a tacking gun? That's my second choice. My arthritic fingers (not bad yet) object to all the pinning but the little gun just shoots in a tack.

For some reason my basting gun is on the fritz and we can not figure out what is wrong with it. Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated. The basting thingies get stuck in the needle.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, no. There are s few different models out there. Maybe try to get in touch with them? Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2