Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Went to see the “Tula Pink Exhibit” at the Paducah Quilt Museum >

Went to see the “Tula Pink Exhibit” at the Paducah Quilt Museum

Went to see the “Tula Pink Exhibit” at the Paducah Quilt Museum

Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Went to see the “Tula Pink Exhibit” at the Paducah Quilt Museum

I was so excited to go and see her “exhibit.” Then I was quite disappointed there were only 5 quilts! And the sign outside the museum says “Personally Tula Exhibit.” Huh? But there were also 2 wonderful quilt artists there, too — Victoria Findlay Wolfe and Danny Amazon(sp?). And each one had probably 30 quilts on display! Those collage quilts done by Danny Amazon(sp?) were fascinating to see in person.

Paducah is a fun place to visit when it’s not Quilt Week. So all in all I was glad we went down.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 PM

You're so lucky to have seen Danny Amazonas' work! I'd love to see his collage pieces.

Watson
Old 07-20-2019, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Danny Amazona designs are amazing. Victoria Findlay Wolfe is one of the best. Either one of their exhibits should have had star billing over Tula Pink. Tula Pink gets lots of quilt media coverage so her name is the draw right now.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Cindi and I took a class from Danny Amazonas last year in Houston. He is charming, funny, and very, very talented. I am an experienced and confident enough quilter that I believe I can make whatever I want to make, and if I don't know how to make it, I can take a class and learn it. So we learned his technique, but he definitely has an artistic eye, and a gift for placing fabrics perfectly to paint a beautiful picture. I can't learn that. He's also very prolific, I'm amazed at how much work he's turned out.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

It is fun to go to Paducah between shows. You can actually get around in Hancocks and there's so much to see at the Quilt Museum. Kirchner's isn't crowded, either!

The last AQS show I went to in Paducah had a special exhibit of quilts by Tula Pink, quilted by Angela Walters. Tula's quilts were not museum quality, but her fabrics are beautiful. I deduced that her strengths are that she is a great and imaginative artist, and has a really fun grasp of color... excellent gifts for fabric design. I wasn't really that impressed with her quilt designs. But! It was awesome to be able to look up close at all that gorgeous quilting by Angela Walters! That was my eye candy. I wanna be her when I grow up! I wonder if the quilts you saw in the exhibit were the ones Angela quilted for her.

The last time I went to the Quilt Museum the headlining show on display was Jane Sassamon's quilts. I was disappointed. Only one of the quilts looked complex enough to be on display in a museum. The rest all looked like samples for her quilt kits. However, the other two exhibits there with hers, were amazing.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:36 AM

We just took a class given by Victoria Findlay Wolfe here in Alaska last month. She's pretty amazing!! Even though you're comfortable in your box, she coaxes you out to take a look around to other possibilities in quilt construction. Fun!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:50 PM

SewBizGirl is right--Angela Walters does most of Tula Pink's quilting. Tula is primarily a fabric designer and then a quilt designer. that is her strength.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I never heard of Danny Amazona until I saw this post. Wow!!!!
Old 07-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I was given one of Tulip Pink's books. It was pictures of quilts all over an old barn or house. No patterns or much type. It was more like looking at a magazine of quilt pictures. I didn't see the hype then and still don't. But I do buy some of her fabric lines.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I never heard of Danny Amazona until I saw this post. Wow!!!!
He's amazing! I'd never heard of him until I saw his work at Quilt Fest in Houston. He's really amazing. I talked to him for a bit and he's very nice, too!