Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What basics do I need?

What basics do I need?

I'm just getting back into quilting and sewing after several years away from the craft. I never did anything fancy before and I want to spread my wings. My early quilts were usually a 10-12 inch block with an applique in the center and then hand quilted. I want to attempt to make some of the fabulous works of art I have seen around. I'm wanting to start out small with potholders, table runners, wallhangings, etc.
    I just bought a new sewing & embroidery machine, I picked up a rotary cutter and mat, a couple of pencils for tracing but that's it.

What all should a newbie get? I'm thinking I want to pick up some templates but I really don't know where to start. Does anyone have a list of supplies for someone just starting out? I would sure appreciate any help .

Dawn

I usually start with a pattern or idea of what I want to make and the get the supplies need in the pattern. That way you can build slowly rather than going out and bringing home the store.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    A lot of books have suggested lists for 'starting up' - you might check your library.

If you already have sewing supplies, you have a good start.

I don't see that you've mentioned rulers - 6 x 12 or 6 x 24 seem to be popular, useful sizes.

Blog Entries
    it sounds as if you have the basics- straight pins, a 6" x 24" rotory cutting ruler- and a square ruler (the ones i would be lost without are 12 1/2" square & 6 1/2" square- i've been at this for a few years and have picked up many other rulers ect over time- but you do not need them all at once.
    choose a beginner friendly pattern you love & want to start with & see what notions/supplies it calls for & jump in- as you (spread your wings) you will accumalate more supplies-
    i don't know that you should spend money on any templates unless you are working on a specific project that requires any- there are literally thousands of different ones- and *generally* project dependant. oh- good scissors too- scissors, rotory cutter/mat/ruler, pins, machine, thread, pattern & fabric & you are on your way!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Lots of rulers, plenty of blades for your rotary cutter, sewing gloves for FMQ, marking pencils, a nice stash of fabric, a quarter-inch foot is nice, butcher paper if you are going to applique, nice snipping scissors, patience, love, confidence, and time! Here is a nice site for a lot of free and some easy patterns. http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Power Poster
    I think my first stop would be to watch some of Jenny's videos on Missouri Star Quilt Co. She has some great quick patterns to do that are mostly done with rotary cutter and rulers. Another good site is Bonnie Hunter's site www.quiltville.com. She has super tutorials on a number of quilts to get you back in the swing of things. I sure wish all the great information on the computer had been around when I first started quilting.

a good SEAM RIPPER (not that we plan to make mistakes).

binding clips are great and safety pins to pin for machine quilting.

you definitely need a ruler, pins,scissors. I would get a nice beginner reference book as well Better Homes and Gardens has an excellent one that I use frequently. Other than that most stuff can be purchased as you go

Here's a site that talks about it. I also agree with the post that said to pick a project & kind of see what you need to make it.

http://www.makeandtakes.com/quilt-al...lting-supplies
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Youtube is a brilliant resource. maybe a local group or class to kick-start?
    You're on the right site here for feedback and help.
    Have fun
    Annie

One item i wish I had from the very beginning is the amazing "Binding tool". There is a demo on You Tube by Susan Brown and it makes it so much easier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGrG...eature=related

How about some acrylic rulers instead of the templates and pencils? Much quicker to cut fabric that way and most of the patterns now have rotary instructions.