Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is it called..... >

What is it called.....

What is it called.....

Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM

I've notices some of the finer hotels also have them now. My thought was, it protected the bedspread from feet and also if you sit on the foot of the bed, it provides a barrier to the bedspread. Just a thought...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 PM

I like the idea of a bedrunner for the changing seasons. Also for any and all holidays. I have a king also and like the thought of whipping up things to change looks around. Plus you could put orphan blocks together and then they could have a home without the big time commitment of a quilt.Also doesn't take up as much storage space when you putting them through their rotation.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Same reason you make a table runner. It's pretty!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM

I always heard them called "bed scarves" & I figured they served a similar service as a piano scarf... to look pretty & be decorative... to liven things up a little bit.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM

I plan to make some -- DH likes to lay on top of the bed with shoes on and it will keep the comforter clean. It will also allow me to have a change with the seasons.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I prefer a solid thinner bed covering with bed runners and pillows to reflect seasons, holidays or the desire to change color scheme. That's my plan now to get going on it!
That's a great idea - perfect for using up those FQs you bought just because you loved them!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I always heard them called "bed scarves" & I figured they served a similar service as a piano scarf... to look pretty & be decorative... to liven things up a little bit.

Always called them bed scarf here also.......they protect the duvet cover and it is fun have different ones for holidays
Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 AM

Knowing someone who works in housekeeping in a large hotel, I can tell you that people put their feet up on the bed without taking off their shoes. The runner is easier to wash than the big spread. Also, people have a tendency to sit on the bed to put on shoes or for whatever reason. The bedrunner is an attractive way to keep the foot of the bed clean without having to wash the spread. If you have dogs at home who like to get on the bed you may want a bedrunner to put across the bed where the dogs like to lie. Besides, they are pretty! That is enough reason for making them.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by DebLuvsQuiltng View Post
I've notices some of the finer hotels also have them now. My thought was, it protected the bedspread from feet and also if you sit on the foot of the bed, it provides a barrier to the bedspread. Just a thought...
This is what I would use them for. It is the same protection that a scarf offers to the neck of a coat-easily laundered more frequently as well.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I completely understand how in areas with colder weather this wouldn't be useful. I have plans though to make several for these reasons: 1) we have a king but I have no desire or time to make king sized quilts [bucket list too long and I work full time, 2] 2 dogs who like to get up on the end of the bed if you're in there during the day and bed runners are more easily laundered, 3] living in Florida I prefer a solid thinner bed covering with bed runners and pillows to reflect seasons, holidays or the desire to change color scheme. That's my plan now to get going on it!
Hello neighbor!! I think I will now want to make a bed runner. Your remark about the dogs hit home for me...it will save my full quilt! I like the seasonal idea too!!