Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can one do with a musty, yucky quilt top if washing it will make it worse? >

What can one do with a musty, yucky quilt top if washing it will make it worse?

What can one do with a musty, yucky quilt top if washing it will make it worse?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Default What can one do with a musty, yucky quilt top if washing it will make it worse?

Most people say DO NOT wash an unfinished quilt top.

What do you do if it is so icky that you don't want to touch it - but it is not quite terrible enough for one to be comfortable with throwing it in the trash?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:23 AM

I think I would soak it in the washer but don't run the agitator. Then spin the water out after at least 30 minutes; probably longer.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Can you post a picture of it? Or describe what pattern and size it is.

I recently took a quilt apart that was tied to replace the batting. I wasn't thinking and didn't wash it before taking it apart and washed it on the delicate setting. Since I have one of the new top loaders and it goes not have the center pillar it came out okay but it did stretch it a bit. After thinking about it I thought I should have basted the quilt together like a pillow case except sew all three sides.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I do not have anything particular in mind.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:57 AM

I have washed a quilt top. I did it on the gentle cycle.. I was afraid some dirt that got on it would stain if I didn't wash it right away. It came out just fine... but it was not to a show quilt anyway. Just a quilt to be gifted to a new mom at work
Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 AM

How about just soaking it in the sink with some Woolite? Handle it as little as possible then just lay flat to air dry.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

I washed a top without being quilted and did not have a problem (standard top loader with agitator). Here is a link to the finished top. It ended up being a practice quilt when I got my LA.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rm-t77776.html

However, I think I was really lucky that I did not end up with a big mess. I have read plenty of stories of others not being so fortunate.

Other things you can try to get the musty out
Hang out on a clothesline on a breezy sunny day
Seal in a trash bag with some charcoal briquettes for a week or two.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:37 PM

If the problem is just (or primarily) the odor, how about treating with fabreeze and then hanging outside as feline fanatic suggests.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:29 PM

I would probably hand wash it, but if you are too nervous to do that, then I would sprinkle it with Baking Soda & after it had a while to absorb the odors, put the brush attachment onto my vacuum & vacuum it up. Haven't done it on an unfinished quilt before, but it works great between washes on finished quilts so I would think it would help.

Also, if you live in an area with nice weather, you can lay it out on the lawn or hang it from an outdoor clothesline & the sun should help freshen it up a bit (assuming you aren't bothered by the smell of grass).

Last edited by Bree123; 09-06-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:59 PM

I'm sorry but I wouldn't think twice about washing it. I would wash it in warm or cold water on delicate. Throw in color catchers. Stop cycle and let it soak for awhile. I would re wash withRestoration if it still smelled. I once had a quilt top pieced and it was not basted. All the fabrics were pre-washed with Retayne in hot water. Anyways, our dog got fleas and, while I did not see any on the quilt top, he spent a lot of time in my sewing room. I ended up washing the quilt top in hot water and dried it on low. It turned out great after pressing. I was relieved.